Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this may be a good idea for a thread.
-What headers are you running?
-Did you have them coated?
-Did you install them yourself, if so were there any problems or did they just slide in like a greased pig (not possible of course)?
-Do you have any tips for those about to pull the trigger?

·
every village has one
2,322 Posts
Kooks 1 7/8 mids-uncoated-easy.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Same, Kook's Mids, uncoated pretty easy install. Some people have cleaned up and re-used the OEM gaskets, others just got new OEM. Most of the gaskets that come with headers aren't all that great.

Plan ahead if you can. If you plan on going FI you may want to just get 1 7/8".

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Kooks 1 7/8 LTs, ceramic coated. Install is simple. I bought new gaskets, but see no reason why the old ones couldn't be reused. Remember to re-torque the header bolts after a few warm up cycles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Kooks 1 7/8 LTs. Jethot 1700 degree coating (chrome). Install was smooth except the steering rack pin was a bitch.

Looks lovely.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
JBA 1-3/4" LT's - no cats, ceramic coated.

I coated because they use 400 series stainless and while it won't rust through it can develop surface oxidization. The fitments is good and there are no clearance issues but you will need some welding done to do it right as the diameter is a little big going into the stock catback. I added a magnaflow X and deleted the mid-muffler as well.

I would get new OEM gaskets, MSD wires, and plugs along w/ O2 extenders - all this stuff should add up to maybe $150 and well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I have the OBX kit uncoated. Installed myself with a friend helping where its helpful to have another set of hands. These cars are fairly easy to install longtubes on compared to other vehicles. There are plenty of threads on install tips.

·
Registered
187 Posts
SLP LTs 1-3/4 Ceramic coated. Easy install, the stock manifolds took longer to get off than installing the LTs.

I accidentally deleted the close up/install pics so this all I have for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Kooks 1 7/8 LTs, Jet Hot 1700 silver coated, high flow cats. Also got new stock gaskets. Had them installed; they had to undo the steering rack and I think the dip stick was in the way a little bit too.

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, non coated (no need, doesnt get driven in winter weather), had my buddy install them at a shop, took him 2 hrs but he had to do some pipe fabircation since my connection pipes didnt come with flanges for easy install

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome guys, I thought this would be a good idea to have everyones comments on one thread. kind of a one stop thread for anyone getting ready to buy a set.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I spent a solid 5 minutes fussing with the dip stick tube. I think I got lucky. My advice would be to really study the way it goes in before you remove it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
OBX 1 7/8 headers and 3" xpipe. VERY impressed with it no issues.

Not sure why people have trouble with dipstick...? I've installed pacesetters and OBX and on both I didnt even touch the dipstick, let alone completely remove it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kooks 1-7/8 Lts uncoated easy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pacesetters coated. No issues installing them. Great for modding on a budget.

I never considered Pacesetters until I saw how far your car has gone with them (Both dyno numbers and track times). Did you do any work (hammer-motivated re-shaping or port cleaning/porting) to them or just slap them on the car?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Coated jba headers. Everything went smooth except the stock catback doest line up but nothing I couldn't handle.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts