Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the hot southwestern AZ desert you sweat alot with the helmet on. Also I was nice enough to lend my helmet to an American Service Man to take his journey down the track in his WRX STI. So can I throw this thing in the washing machine if I put a large blanket in there with the helmet? I know it is a little weird of a question; but I want to clean this thing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't think I would put mine in the washing machine, but your helmet may be different.

My helmet has removable liner, so you can take it out and wash it by hand (or maybe in the washing machine?). Check and see if the insides come out.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
The dishwasher. Hot a Joke

·
Registered
220 Posts
I used hair shampoo diluted with water and that seemed to work pretty well. Soap that is more harsh will probably jack up the lining/pads.

If you're trying to eliminate sabre-toothed crotch crickets, try a different approach...:wink2:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have a nasty helmet too and have tried the foam cleaner designed for helmets with little success. I'm thinking of trying some simple green in a bucket and scrubbing/soaking for a bit and hose it off / air dry. If that doesn't work I will just buy a new one, it's about 10 years old anyway. I would rather not though as I don't ride much anymore and it's just going to be for auto x and the drags.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey, you ask a weird question you get some fun answers. i may try the hair shampoo one. maybe some neutrogenia for dandruff control. lol

·
Fort Worth, TX
166 Posts
If more than 5 years old with frequent use, I would cut it in half and toss it. Otherwise, diluted baby shampoo so as not to damage the foam liner as that is what is cushioning your brain.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, this all of a sudden has become a serious question with a serious answer. you are correct. besides the seat belt and air bags this is the only thing that will cushion your brain in a catastrophic event. so diluted mild baby shampoo it is. and then just let it dry naturally.

·
Fort Worth, TX
166 Posts
You might also consider use of a skull cap or a doo rag in the future. My current bike helmets are 1 and 2 years old and look (and smell!) clean inside, but the doo rags get nasty (I am in Texas after all). Just toss the doo rag in the laundry once in a while and everything is fresh and clean.

I would dilute the baby shampoo down so you can spray it out of a bottle such as a Windex bottle. Sponge it good, hit tougher spots with a more concentrated mixture. Then blot dry, rinse and blot dry again then let it air dry. It might not be pristine afterwards, but it will be a lot better.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The diswasher is actually a great idea. Just set if for a short cycle with no drying and place it upright on the bottom rack. Since you're in AZ, just set it outside, obviously not in direct light, and let the dry heat do it's thing. I clean my skiing helmet this way and baseball caps too.

PS I'm proud of everyone, with this thread title, things could have gone very off the rails ;)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ha, I normally have my mind in the dirt more than any one I know. I'm shocked I didn't even think of that....but now that you mention it......the cleaning agent used could be critical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
aluraacker345
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing