Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the oil pan off today to do the gasket, and right as I was lowering the rear of the pan off of the engine, I heard a ping sound like something dropping and then this fell out. I can't see where it goes. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also FYI in case anyone searches this in the future:
-DOD still on the car (disabled in tune)
-175,000 miles daily driven
-Mild mods (355-ish whp when it was tuned)
-No issues at all that would make me think the tensioner failed...sounds fine, drives fine, that thing could have been in my oil pan for 8 years for all I know.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Any weird hesitations?

·
Registered
53 Posts
No surprise. L76 tensioners virtually never come out in one piece. It's somewhat rare for it to cause issues but you absolutely should still get a tensioner in it and I'd probably avoid spinning it too high until you do. While you've got the timing cover off, replace the junk harmonic balancer too before that comes off on its own.

That is, unless you want to use this as an excuse to do a proper AFM delete.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No surprise. L76 tensioners virtually never come out in one piece. It's somewhat rare for it to cause issues but you absolutely should still get a tensioner in it and I'd probably avoid spinning it too high until you do. While you've got the timing cover off, replace the junk harmonic balancer too before that comes off on its own.

That is, unless you want to use this as an excuse to do a proper AFM delete.
Yeah I did the balancer a few years ago when it had the crazy wobble going on. I mean it's probably a good idea to just do the DOD delete at the same time. Yay working on cars. Always super fun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
With that high of miles its pretty inevitable to have DOD issues soon enough. I'd agree you ought to just get it done.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm not in the "DOD (it's actually called AFM) is going fail no matter what" camp. Maybe a lot of people remove it. Most don't.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When I did my dod delete kit came with an ls2 chain “damper” which doesn’t look like it would do much. Tensioner is not necessary on these short chains, and as you can see can be more trouble than they’re worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
The only chain tensioner you see failed are old style originals GM discontinued the use of the old solid blocks. It was a problem solved almost 10 years ago. Install a new tensioner with chain and gears and you will be trouble free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts