Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Not sure, but despise scissor jacks. If stranded on the side of the roadway... 1. Don't have time to look for an ideal jack placement location. 2. Wind the mechanism clockwise for nearly an eternity before it reaches the vehicle's frame. 3. Oftentimes, scissor jacks are unstable on uneven surfaces. 4. Unwind it counter-clockwise for another eternity so it'll fit neatly into its designated space. Sold the G8 spare tire and tool kit awhile ago and purchased a decent Harbor Freight floor jack. Give or take, 2.5 pumps to the chassis and a few more to get the vehicle off the ground. People around here drive like selfish idiots and the last thing I want is for someone placing an order for a medium pepperoni pizza with large cinnamon sticks to plow into the side of a disabled vehicle. If they'll hit a fire engine with all lights burning bright...don't think two hazard lights and a set of taillights completely eliminates the possibility. By the way, there is an ample amount of space between the spare tire and cover to store a floor jack. Also, ditched the lug nut removal tool and purchased a power wrench. Just my $.02. Good luck

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
^^^^Agreed, have an AAA membership rather than play with the junk in the trunk if your stranded on the side of the road.
I tell my wife just drive someplace safe even if you beat the rim to death, plenty of rims out there, only one of you....whadda sap....
Grab a decent floor jack but don't under jack, my G8 crushed a 1.5 ton doing the winters one year. Got up a 3 ton as my sons both have full sized pick ups.
Picked up a 30 inch 1/2 inch drive power bar and 22 ml deep socket with 2 inch extension rather than the cheap nut tool to go with the optional selection of power tools.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the once in 5 years likelihood of a flat, I'm fine with the stock jack setup. If I have a flat, I'm not waiting around for AAA which could be an hour or two when I could be on my way in 10 minutes changing it myself. It's not for me anyway but for when I sell the car. Want it to be complete for the next owner.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
10-4, your an honorable man for going the extra mile.
All I can recommend is go to an auto scrap yard and match up something.
I worked in a scrap yard and used to sell car jacks for $5-10.
Might even find a wrecked G8 and get the perfect match.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Yes of course if it only was that easy. It's not like there were that many to begin with in 2 years of production.
With the value dropping on them, more of them end up totaled in junk yards, can't hurt to check car-part to see if there's any localish to you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There was a guy posting on here a while back with two wrecked G8's IIRC. Don't remember where he was, but if anyone has a link because of all the parts people were asking for, a jack wasn't what anyone was looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts