Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I'm going to try and make an effort to keep Christine better looking by regular washes/waxes. To do that I'm looking for options on what polisher to get and why.

I've seen prices range from $30 to over $300 but I'm looking more in the $100 and under if possible. I could go a little higher by saying "around $100" when the wife asks me how much I need to spend ;) There's a detailing place in Michigan that's not to far from me and they use Adam's products, but it's $150 for an exterior detail with clay bar so I'm thinking I might as well buy a polisher and do it myself in the future. Plus this way I can do our suburban too.

So if you have a polisher, what brand is it and how happy are you with it?

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
I have a $25 Harbor Freight Rotary and it has been working great, especially on my boat as the thing is large as it has an inside and out. I have considered either the Porter Cable 7424xp like the guys above have or a Flex 3403.

I think about spending the money because the Harbor Freight Polisher is heavy and while I'm still in good shape and my shoulders and arms are still strong, when doing the boat and holding the polisher at arm level and higher for a while, it gets tiring.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
I did notice that HF is now carrying the polishing bonnets for the porter cable polisher. I use adams bonnets for the fine stuff.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I use a Griot's Garage model 6" Random Orbital buffer. Along with the Machine Polish #1 and #3. Then I wax it with Best Show Wax. I am really into the Griot's product line. The Speed Shine keeps the finish looking great. I am able to quarter car wash my car and towel dry it all winter long and it comes out very shiny. Here it is from last week.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Portal cable from Adams with all Adams products. Car looks sick. Will be doing a huge custom 3500 Chevrolet silverado in a week or two.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Had a second hand Porter Cable 7424 'til it died then got the Griot's Garage DA polisher. This is how the finish on my 4 year old daily driver looks:

This was after wash, clay bar and polish on a MF polishing pad topped with Adam's Americana paste wax.

I was happy with the PC and I'm happy with the
GG DA polisher, I just wish it wasn't made in China. The good thing about DA polishers is they're nearly foolproof. Short of dropping it on or throwing it at your car you really can't damage your paint with one.

BTW: It took a lightning strike to kill the Porter Cable.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Another vote for the Griots Orbital. You cant mess it up with that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agreed with Porter Cable. Dual action orbital so there is much less risk of damaging the paint

·
Registered
138 Posts
Porter cable here as well and Adam's product mostly. Last week I poured some love out with a wash, clay, 2 step swirl, polish, and wax. I debadged the rear prior to whole process.

If my photo works...it was taken after a hard rain

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm... The Griots comes with a hook/loop disc, the Porter doesn't. The Porter is a few pounds lighter vs the Griots though.

Is there any real difference aside from motor power and a little weight though? Does one rotate differently than the other?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hmmm... The Griots comes with a hook/loop disc, the Porter doesn't. The Porter is a few pounds lighter vs the Griots though.

Is there any real difference aside from motor power and a little weight though? Does one rotate differently than the other?
I have yet to have a single issue with pads on a porter cable. I'm using Adam's pads. The ONLY warning I will give is DO NOT let your finger accidentally hit the on switch while applying product to the pad lol. You will be cleaning polish out of eyes, hair....and the wall behind you :eek:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
682 Posts
Really what does it matter which buffer you use on your car. The process of going the extra mile with the way you care for your car is what's important. People come up to me in the office all the time and ask "how do you keep your car looking so good all the time?" Ron actually went out and had his car "detailed" then came up to me and said your car still looks better than mine. The way you care for your car the day you pick it up from the showroom is so important in the way it looks over 4 years later. My golf partner just picked up a brand new loaded 300. He went out of his way to promise me he would not over load his interior with parts for his job that ruined his previous 300. He calls on Chrysler for a living. Be kind to your car and your car will last a very long time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts