Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the EZ Install Trans Cooler on G8Only.com. There is a 15k, 20,500, and a 29,200 BTU option. My G8 has long tubes, intake, axleback, mid muffler delete, and I am getting ready to get a dyno tune/get rid of the torque management. This is my daily car but I want to get the most out of what I have done and I also want to get rid of the training wheels (torque management) that came on the car.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Will the add on cooler replace the factory cooler or be in series? Where do you live - climate will be part of the decision (sub freezing or frequent 100+)? With you mods, the additional power will not drive the need unless you plan on 1320 often or pull trailer.
In your case it's all irrelevant. Save you money as you'll need to rebuild/replace the trans once you toast it without torque management.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the add on cooler replace the factory cooler or be in series? Where do you live - climate will be part of the decision (sub freezing or frequent 100+)? With you mods, the additional power will not drive the need unless you plan on 1320 often or pull trailer.
In your case it's all irrelevant. Save you money as you'll need to rebuild/replace the trans once you toast it without torque management.
So disabling torque management will for sure kill my transmission? I was thinking of getting a cooler just because I thought the temps would go up when it is disabled.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Transmission calibration is as critical to longevity as the engine calibration. Completely removing it will reduce the trans lifetime, considerably if pushing it hard at all. Neck snapping shifts come with a price. Best to make sure your tuner knows the 6L80 before you commit.

Reactions: MGMGXP

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Torque management doesn’t cause heat in the trans. A high stall converter does. The higher the stall, the more heat and need for a larger cooler. If you are going to race or supercharge with the LSA converter, 15,000 btu will work. 3200 stall or higher, the larger ones. If it is just to make the trans last longer. Look to adding an Improved Racing oil cooler thermostat and oil system barbell

Reactions: outbreak040
1 - 5 of 5 Posts