Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Greetings from Michigan. New to the forum. Have not owned a g8 yet, but will own one shortly. Just in the long process of finding the perfect one. I would like to know from people who have owned both 2008 and 2009 which is better. There are two vehicles I am looking at. Both are white, one is a bone stock 2008 with 52,xxx miles (Wants 17,200). The other is a 2009, only mod is straight piped exhaust, with 83,xxx(wants 16,400). Is the 2009 model year that much more desirable, or is it a great deal for the 2008? (2009 does have the upgraded interior and what not) Only differences I've heard are some minor interior changes, and some people state the PCM is more refined on the 2009, smoother shifting and whatnot. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
702 Posts
The most desirable would be a 2009.5, which you can tell by the vin if the last 6 starts with a 3 instead of a 2, and with the sport and premium package, which has the 19" wheels, leather interior, heated seats, and some other features. When I bought mine, I searched for a completely stock car. My thought was that I wanted to know which mods were done and by who I wanted and, more than likely, it had not been raced 1/4 mile at a time. There are still some low mileage, 1 owner cars out there that come up for sale if you're patient. I'd join the fb G8 classified pages. There's always some nice cars coming up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check service records but I like the lower mileage myself

·
Registered
272 Posts
A 2009.5 is ideally what you would want as it has Bluetooth and the engine has the updated, more reliable lifters. Also, I recommend getting something that is completely stock. Of the two you mentioned, if the 2008 is in good shape, I would not hesitate to get that one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the lower miles, I had my eye on a low mile red 2009 but it sold real quick. I will wait around for awhile to find the perfect one, no matter how bad I want it now. Bone stock is what I want also. The more mods I see, the more I assume it has been ridden hard. Like you said, they're still out there! just need to wait for the right one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only sketchy thing about the 2008 is that the current owner has only owned it a few months. Doesn't seem like he knows too much about it and said he can not get any more pictures for me right now.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If you are looking for a "Perfect Car" it'll be a long look.
Find a G8 that turns your crank.
Face it any car you buy your going to spend on those little imperfections that nag at you.
I've never let high mileage scare me away from any car as long as there was history with the car and it is stock.
Check the Forums section, Cars for sale, there's a gentleman in Michigan selling a Liquid Red GT that may be right up your alley.
Good luck, let us know what you buy....and I'm partial to Hot White too.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
-Has Atari gauges
-Has glove box light
-361hp
-Ignition Orange and Stealth Blue were 2008 only colors
-Black interior trim

-Atari gauges removed, replaced with a cubby hole
-Satellite radio added
-Glove box light was removed
-355hp
-Pacific Slate, Stryker Blue, Maverick Silver, & Sport Red colors added for 2009
-Silver interior trim

-Bluetooth telephone feature added (no bluetooth music streaming)
-Under seat rear cup holders added
-Two extra small (pup) cats added to exhaust

·
Registered
735 Posts
Look here in the for sale section... you can buy moded. Lots of great fast cars here done right. That 08 has after market rims I'd want the stock ones with it as well. My preference though. There are plenty of beat on stock cars. You won't know unless the seller admits. Do research find one you like and go for it. Dont buy without a drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more I'm looking into Facebook groups and classified on forums the more cars I'm finding. Surprising that they're not on Craigslist, but probably better. I'm noticing a lot of these sellers on forums and Facebook pages want their cars going to another enthusiast, not just some kid who is going to wreck their car. Which in turn, the car is probably cared for much better. And I agree, stock doesn't mean it wasn't beat on, and a lot of times miles don't matter. I'd rather buy a car that's been babied and taken immaculate care of for 90k miles than a 50k mile car that hasn't been maintained. Thanks for the input everyone. So is it a myth that the 2008's shift a lot rougher? I've read that in a few posts.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've had a G8 (in one form or another since '09) and that's the first I've ever heard of the 08's shifting rougher than the 09's.

·
Confident Member
361 Posts
I've had an 08 and now an 09, both the same color lol. I like the 09 better only because i hated the atari gauges. I've had aftermarket tunes on both of them about since i got them so i can't comment on the shifting, but that's something that can be adjusted in the tune anyway.

also the bluetooth in the 09.5 is kind of a joke, it allows phone calls but no music streaming. That's easily handled in any G8 with an aux/bluetooth adapter.

You'll find there's a lot of us in Michigan, we are dense with G8's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've heard that Michigan is pretty g8 dense. Especially the metro detroit area I'm in. Really been seeing some with this warm weather. Going to look at one hopefully next week. Second owner, owned since 2009 with 9k miles, 2008, black, just under 60k miles, came from florida a few years back. Garage stored and never winter driven. Bone stock. He's asking $16,500 for it. As long as everything checks out, sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I don't know if you're willing to travel, but I saw this the other day. A GXP in Addison, TX (near Dallas). I think the price is probably a couple thousand high for the mileage, but they might be willing to negotiate with you. Good color combo.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP | Addison Texas 75001

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
That ones been floating around for sale for months. IZRED is probably correct the title is scaring people away.
There's another PBM in the area for $12500 with 375km on the car, engine swapped by GM 110km ago.
OP the Liquid Red in Michigan is being sold by 94transamgt (I hope that's right) may be worth a PM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies guys. I will look into the red one, probably worth going and taking a look at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts