Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted recently asking what polisher everyone's using to get an idea of a good model and I think I have that covered now. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to start on Christine's paint if the weather permits (no garage).

One thing that dawned on me though is I really should clay her first. But what clay? I've had her for about a year and 1/2, and haven't washed her as often as I should. Are all clays the same? The local auto parts stores carry a few different brands and I'll probly need 2 bars considering she's a Michigan car.

Is the cheaper stuff okay to take off the crud? Like Mother's or Meguiar's or something else?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
^^^+1. One clay bar should easily do the whole car.

·
NC
122 Posts
Ok... so novice question here... other than googling this and trying to avoid risking getting the wrong answer...

what are good Dos and Don'ts with clay?

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Ok... so novice question here... other than googling this and trying to avoid risking getting the wrong answer...

Detail Spray, can't use enough of it. Want to make sure the painted surface and clay bar are dripping wet. Stretch and tear the clay to make multiple pieces. While claying, make sure not to use dirty clay, fold and stretch, and keep applying detail spray. One bar should cover a entire detail, just keep folding and stretching, and wetting.

Have extra clay bar left over? Spray some detail spray into a zip-lock bag, spray the clay bar, and place into the bag. May need to re-apply detail spray every 2 months or so to keep the bar moist while in storage. The key is keeping the bar wet at all times.

·
Registered
329 Posts
^That plus: Don't use the clay if you drop it on the ground.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
after you do a panel, fold it and knead it... Keep it fresh, you can't overlube it.. And rip it in half and it'll do it's job just fine !

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
Lots of lube, don't let it touch the ground.
Due to patent stuff that is still on going, there is only one manufacturer. They are all the same. You can get different levels of "grit", but light or medium is fine for general use.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i use the maguires blocks of clay, for the money they work well, also easy to get. only ones i've ever used though so there very well may be better out there.
Same here. Been using it for years

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
clay is clay...the cheapest one will work as well as a pricey one. Just follow the help above.

And just like prison...don't drop the soap (or clay).

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found yesterday when I was looking around at parts stores Meguier's cut down on the clay they were including in their kits. The first store I went to had two boxes like in the image above, 160grams. Next one I went to had Meguiers kits, but I thought it was odd it didn't have "160" on the front. Detailed look showed the two bars were 50 grams each, not the 80 in other boxes. Mother's still had 160 though.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Other's have already said it, but theirs a saying to this.

"If you drop the clay, throw it away." Definitely a must do. It's not worth a piece of clay to risk scratching your paint up.

Claying the car is something you really only need to do every 6-12 months depending on how dirty your paint gets. Before you clay the car, wash it with Dawn dish soap. It will strip off any old waxes that are on the paint. And before anyone says it, no, Dawn will NOT hurt your paint. But it's not a car soap. Only should be used before you clay the car.

The clay bar relies on lubrication to work. I tend to do it while the car is still wet after it's been washed and also using a detail spray. You will notice that as you clay the car, you can hear and feel it grabbing contaminants from the surface of your paint. Keep kneading the clay after every few passes to expose the clean spots, and pass over each area until the paint is silky smooth.

It works on everything. Not just your paint. Use it on your head lights, windshield, windows, etc. And after you are finally done, polish your paint, or wax it, or both.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Claying the car is something you really only need to do every 6-12 months depending on how dirty your paint gets. Before you clay the car, wash it with Dawn dish soap. It will strip off any old waxes that are on the paint. And before anyone says it, no, Dawn will NOT hurt your paint. But it's not a car soap. Only should be used before you clay the car.
I could be wrong, but dawn is a degreaser. I wouldnt use degreaser on my car, but thats just me.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Some products can cause the clay bar to break down. Certain decreasers and other detail products. Don't know if dawn will do it but I'd stick with what's mentioned above. I use simple car wash soap and water at home. At work we have a body shine lubricant for our clay bar. I've heard of people using glass cleaner but I hadn't tried it ,so won't recommend it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
another option is the "speedy surface prep" cloth. Does the same and clay, but can be washed if dropped. I used mine as a second pass wash after getting it clean with first wash.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s583/funkygreens/IMAG0028_zps65591d38.jpg

Does the speedy prep surface clothe look like this ? This you can also drop and rinse. Plus they claim it lasts longer then clay bar . But I gotta say the clay bar takes things off faster then this particular product.
There is another member who is all about this foam block. Don't remember the exact name but he said it works good.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Zaino requires the use specifically of Dawn prior to treatment only.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I could be wrong, but dawn is a degreaser. I wouldnt use degreaser on my car, but thats just me.
I've never had a problem with it. This is soap made to wash things that we eat off of... lol. It's not harmful. I only wash with it to strip the car just before I clay it. A little goes a long way too. You only need a few cap fulls or so in the bucket to do the trick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts