Pontiac G8 Forum banner

What Would You Replace Your G8 With?

18K views 107 replies 62 participants last post by  GT Drew 
#1 ·
Hello.

If you were to trade in your G8 GT or GXP, what would it be for? (Crazy question to ask, I know).

The reason I ask is I am contemplating this (again, crazy thought. Runs in my family). I love my G8 GT but really miss having the manual transmission (a GXP or manual swap are out of the question). I would also like to get something with all-wheel drive. I am just contemplating.

Try not to flame me too much.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm keeping my G8 GT til the wheels fall off but I would consider the brand new RWD Kia Stinger sport sedan coming to the US next month.

#4 ·
I've been keeping an eye on the 2013+ Audi S6. Hot-V bi-turbo 4.0L V8, AWD. No manual option though. Still a little too rich for me, but I'm planning on keeping my G8 for 3 more years.....

One backup choice is the Cadillac CTS V-sport. Turbo V6, but only RWD. Yes, I think I want a turbo on my next car. Never had one.

#11 ·
*Supposedly*, according to Consumer Reports (non-profit) Audi quality took a marked step upwards about 5 or so years ago in their survey. That was what got me to look at what Audi had that might interest me. It has maintained that level. Not quite up to the Japanese manufacturers level..... I know they're more expensive to fix, but since I can do a lot of stuff myself, I figure it might not be that bad and hoping to benefit from some depreciation on the used.... I've never owned a German car, only domestic and Japanese (for the wife).

#12 ·
Only thing I would get rid of the G8 for would be a 2nd gen CTS-V sedan or wagon. If the prices would get low enough maybe a G3 CTS-V or ATS-V.

#13 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I love my G8 but I think I may give the Audi a try. A couple of weeks ago I had test driven an 2008 S4 Sedan and was very impressed. 4.2 L V8 with 340 HP and a 7000 RPM redline. Silky smooth manual transmission and excellent handling. It actually felt very similar to the G8 but just a little bit smaller packaging. I also miss having a convertible so the car i am looking at has everything I am interested in.

#14 ·
Agree on the Audi comments. Amazing cars...but unless you have a very good warranty or want to leave your wallet open, they're not something I'd contemplate. But...that's just my opinion. Bought my wife a new V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee last November. Audi Q5 gave it a run for it's money...especially the SQ5, thing was a BEAST! But in the end, I couldn't get over their reliability and maintenance costs. Brakes and oil changes on them are ridiculous.

If it were me, I'd be all over any of the following:

1. Lexus ISF
2. CTS V (gen 2 or 3)
3. Chevy SS
4. Infinity Q50AWD or Q70 AWD

#16 ·
Agree on the Audi comments. Amazing cars...but unless you have a very good warranty or want to leave your wallet open, they're not something I'd contemplate. But...that's just my opinion. Bought my wife a new V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee last November. Audi Q5 gave it a run for it's money...especially the SQ5, thing was a BEAST! But in the end, I couldn't get over their reliability and maintenance costs. Brakes and oil changes on them are ridiculous.

If it were me, I'd be all over any of the following:

1. Lexus ISF
2. CTS V (gen 2 or 3)
3. Chevy SS
4. Infinity Q50AWD or Q70 AWD
I took a Mosport track ride in an older ISF at full bore w an instructor and they are very well engineered.

#15 ·
I don't ever plan on getting rid of my G8. I plan on giving it to my son. But if something were to happened to it for whatever reason, Id have to say, I'd look for another G8 GXP M6 with very low miles to purchase. It would have to be an M6 though. Nothing else.

#19 ·
It would have to be an M6 though. Nothing else.
Let's see how long you feel that way when you watch your mph continue to go up but your ET stays the same and you start to slide down the fast list..

I'd like a Hennessey.
LOL. Do some reading man. And that OBM widebody V wagon isn't a Hennessey car either.

#20 ·
A gen 3 CTS-V would convince me to give up my G8 completely. Too bad they cost a fortune. Otherwise, it is my plan to find a reasonable daily driver, maybe a truck, and keep my G8 as a toy.

Following that plan. A 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE would make a pretty sweet toy.

#23 ·
I love the G8 and it is great value for money, but it would definitely be nice to have something a bit more luxurious especially for a DD. I'd prefer to have a quieter more comfortable car while not giving up too much performance. I've been eyeing up an E43 AMG, but it is in a completely different price range than the g8.

If my car got totaled tomorrow, I honestly don't know what car I'd get that is in the 20k range. There still isn't really anything out IMO that compares with the G8 in terms of performance, features, and price of ownership. It's amazing that I bought this car for low $20s over 5 years ago and it is still holding its own against many newer cars.

#24 ·
Gosh, I've never given this any thought. The idea of replacing it really never came to mind. I've been looking at a pick-up truck (used) to replace the Sable (tank); that car will eventually move on to another unsuspecting home......

I really don't see a lot that appeals to me that I can actually afford (or want to afford). All of the affordable cars in the market for me look like they all came down the same line with a few variations in sheet metal. They're all starting to look the same. There are a few exceptions, but by and large it seems like exterior design is becoming an after-thought in the mainstream market.

Instead, manufacturers are focusing on ways to "entertain" drivers... Because entertainment behind the wheel is necessary so that as a result guys like me can stare at an incorrect gap on an obviously aftermarket bumper on his G8 that he still needs to take back to the body shop. ;)

Sarcasm aside... :D..... A Mustang is probably the most appealing to me in the performance market next to a new Stingray..... I don't like the Camaro....

#26 ·
I like that side profile, but the front quarter profile needs some work. The bulbous headlight, for example, completely interferes with the angles. You can't see it from this view, but look it up...

Still, I would need to judge in person.... :D

#29 ·
Yup want to see/drive the Stinger in person.
I guess that's the only way to drive...

#34 ·
I 2nd the hsv gen-f2 / gtsr w1 the boys down under get all the good stuff we probably will never see it here in the states which is sad:crying:
NEW GEN CADI CTS-V OR A MERCEDES AMG E3 THESE CHOICES WOULD GET YOUR BLOOD FLOWING :gears:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.