Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a stainless steel X-pipe to get rid of my mid muffler. I want to find one with slip fittings, I don't want to weld anything. I got a Solo Axle Back so I want to find an X-pipe that goes good with that. What X-pipe is the best for this?

·
Registered
626 Posts
You'll pretty much have to weld. Any x-pipe you get is going to be significantly shorter than the stock mid muffler, and you're going to end up with 4 or more slip joints that are likely to leak. Any half decent muffler shop should be able to knock it out cheap and quick.

Anything from Magnaflow will be good. I'd suggest one of their Tru-X mufflers. Basically an x-pipe with a bit of baffling. If you search on here, you can find plenty of info. If you go with an actual x-pipe be prepared for potential drone and additional cabin noise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am looking for a stainless steel X-pipe to get rid of my mid muffler. I want to find one with slip fittings, I don't want to weld anything. I got a Solo Axle Back so I want to find an X-pipe that goes good with that. What X-pipe is the best for this?
I'm in the same boat as you. My plan is, since I want an X-pipe, to just go full cat back with the Solo Street Race kit (yeah yeah I know it's loud but that's my intention) and sell the axle backs. It's a much better solution for peace of mind cause you can swap out sections in the future (like replacing the Street Race's x-pipe for Solo's Cyclone mid) without hacking up your exhaust. Also the piping is 2.5" or 3" as opposed to the stock 2.25" so your will breathe much better either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might just use 2 straight pieces of pipe to replace the muffler. I'm about to get rid of my AFM because of drone, I don't need any more drone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I might just use 2 straight pieces of pipe to replace the muffler. I'm about to get rid of my AFM because of drone, I don't need any more drone.
That's going to have more drone than an x-pipe. Also, yes, AFM can cause some drone, but you'll still get it without AFM without an appropriate exhaust setup.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You'll have to weld...

I used a Magnaflow True X pipe. It's essentially a X pipe in a muffler. I put it in place of the stock mid muffler and used a Magnaflow axle back with the dual tips. Very happy with the performance, sound and look.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you're planning on using the x-pipe with your stock exhaust you need one that has a 2.5" inlet and outlet. I bought a generic one from ebay when I did this mod to my car. It was like $25. No need for an expensive one. Just make sure to get one that's stainless steel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Summit Racing has slip fit x-pipes in stainless or aluminized steel, along with band clamps.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I do hope the OP realizes that the original exhaust is 2.25" and NOT 2.5" There is also no way to have it slip on. When the mid muffler is removed, the shop should also remove the
crushed pipe between the mid muffler and the two resonators. So you will have an X-pipe and 2 sections of pipe welded to the resonators. Yes you can have slip connections exiting the
X-pipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts