Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Looks like it slipped half off. High RPM+ weak tensioner casues this. Can't you move the tenioner are put it back on?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
They have upgraded the air cond tensioner... probably can get it a bunch of places but crazy paul sells them... couple threads around dealing with this issue...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Go to the other board, search a/c belt falling off. CP has the fix, installed mine and never had it happen again

DEAL 45R.

Bracket with new idler pulley and a complete new tensioner - 92252927
US$190 shipped by Airfreight.
PRICE INCLUDES SHIPPING.

Belt to suit new bracket arrangement & non-underdriven A/C pulley on balancer.
[Belt for Stock Balancer or First Design U/D Pulley]
4PK1108 = 92244381
Add US$20.

OR

Belt to suit new bracket arrangement & 10% underdriven A/C pulley on balancer.
[Belt for Second Design U/D Pulley]
Use 4PK1065 = K040420.
Buy it there in USA in case you need to swap for something a little longer or shorter.

To Order:
Send a Paypal to my Paypal ID
Include your Forum Username & Shipping Address
In one of the Paypal Message Boxes type what the money is for, eg: "Deal45R + 4PK1108"
Pay in US$
** Airfreight shipping from Australia to USA will take 2 weeks.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help everyone. It looks like culprit is the harmonic balancer rubber seal, it is half gone, causing major wobble. I have less than a month left on my pt warranty, I am asking for a new pulley and all new belts, as it was/is fraying the serpentine, and the acc belt looks bad.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
See if they'll put the upgraded A/C tensioner on it under warranty while they're at it... There's A GM Technical service bulletin out for it now.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Did they install the updated A/C belt tensioner from the TSB?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
you are fortunate to live near a reasonable dealer.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did they install the updated A/C belt tensioner from the TSB?
Late response, I wasn't subscribed for some reason...

No, the didn't. They checked everything out, said the tensioner was perfect and that the balancer was the problem. No issues since.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I've heard that those who are pushing major power (like power adder types) spin the A/C belt off from engine torque. Good to hear that your favorite dealership once again took care of your concerns.

I can't wait for the day I can roadtrip my g8 to the Charlotte area. :) For other reasons too...

·
Registered
290 Posts
You don't need to have any mods done or increase in hp for this to happen. Use to happen all the time on my gt and just out of coincidence happened yesterday on my gxp. Everytime this has happened to me it was during hard acceleration and then sudden let off of the accelerator during take off, never during acceleration while at a cruising speed. There is an upgraded bracket that resolves this issue that I believe is $150. Looks like ill be getting one although it literally only takes 30 seconds to fix.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Just happened to me today for the first time.. Gotta bring her in before Oct to fix the trans flare so hoping they will replace it also.. My balancer has always had a wobble to it since 9k miles when I bought the car though. Glad to hear it's covered under the PT warranty as mine is up in October..

Gonna look closer at the balancer to see if anything is noticeable with the isolator..

·
Registered
386 Posts
My A/C belt came off twice last week. I ended up trying a size smaller belt and it has been great since. The tensioner isn't pegged out in either direction and things look great. Apparently quite a few people have done this over on the other board and it's worked well for them to. The belt was a whopping $12 at Advanced Auto. I could post the P/N from the other forum if it helps.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Yeah thanks the part # would be great.. I see the belt laying there still intact but I'm not gonna use it as it's lost all privileges of being on my car ;).. I'd appreciate that..

Found another thread and posted in it after this one about the shorter belt..

It's been a while since I've been on the board just reading all these posts brings that itch back to mod more ha ha..

·
Registered
228 Posts
My A/C belt came off twice last week. I ended up trying a size smaller belt and it has been great since. The tensioner isn't pegged out in either direction and things look great. Apparently quite a few people have done this over on the other board and it's worked well for them to. The belt was a whopping $12 at Advanced Auto. I could post the P/N from the other forum if it helps.
I did the same. Have gone 5k miles now with the smaller belt and so far no issues.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Just happened to me today for the first time.. Gotta bring her in before Oct to fix the trans flare so hoping they will replace it also.. My balancer has always had a wobble to it since 9k miles when I bought the car though. Glad to hear it's covered under the PT warranty as mine is up in October..

Gonna look closer at the balancer to see if anything is noticeable with the isolator..

Hello DAPG8GT,

Sorry you're having some issues here with your vehicle. Would you like some assistance setting up a visit to have this issue taken care of? I would need some information which you can private message me. Here to help.

Reggie B.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah thanks the part # would be great..
Here is the exact part number I bought from Advance Auto Parts. It is a Dayco belt. Part # 5040425. If they go somewhere else they should be able to let you know what belts are equivalent at their store if you give them that number. Keep in mind it was a tighter fit but the belt has been great since.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts