Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pretty straight forward... just looking for opinions on what mods would be required to make a stock 09 G8 GT outhandle an M3

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Might help if you specify which m3. E36, E46, E92?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
obviously fourth gen... E90/92/93

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
I've never driven an M3, but I think it would take pretty much everything you can throw at the G8 to come close. It does well for what it is, but it's way too heavy to be a serious handler IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
My guess would be full weight reduction, with race seat. Full pedders coil over setup and a set of comp style slicks with lightweight wheels, with massive brakes and rotors. Our cars are fat...

Or you could just get a c5 z06 and call it a day.

It doesn't take much to smoke one in a straight line, your only a set of headers and a tune away from that...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
^ heh... I agree.

That's why I'm getting ready to sell mine. It's just not made to be run like I want it to run. So I'm going to a Vette.

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
You'll need to lose about 6-10 inches of length and about 500+ lbs and you'll have a good start.

These cars are not great handlers... parts can be purchased to make it a better handler, but it will not compete with a car that is purpose built and in a smaller class overall. Or at least not in a cost effective manner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Find an M car that has a driver who doesnt know how to drive. Thats honestly your best and easiest way to take one on on a track. Good Luck

·
Drives with wolves
900 Posts
An M-5 :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
driver mod, best part is it transfers from car to car easily.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most people who drive bwms cant drive anyways

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Agreed with the posts above. One can't overcome mass. I tired pacing my friend who has a WRX last weekend. I never felt concerned during the twisties by his car flew effortlessly through the turns where I really had to handle mine and be careful when coming out.
Although he said he could hear me coming out of the turns every time. And seeing me come out a bit sideways was worth the price of admission to.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ideally like others have said, two less doors, shave 1000lbs., full suspension upgrade and a supercharger and tune for good measure.

They are purpose built street-driven track cars, ours are not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts