Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much analysis and much soul searching I have decided to keep my G8 as opposed to getting a 2 door 2 seater sports car. The g8 offers a practicality that I can use day in and day out.

So now its time to mod her up a tad bit.

I was thinking of building a 402 with the help of my friends at champion motors, here is the list of parts champion motors has suggested. Understand, I need some everyday drive ability hence the cam spec that was suggested and possibly going for boost application in the future.

1. New LS2 Block
  2. Callies Compstar 4340 4.0" Stroke Crank
  3. Callies Compstar 4340 6.125" H-beam connecting rods
  4. Wiseco 6394F05 2618 Alloy Piston - 8CC Dish
  5. Clevite H Bearings
  6. ARP Main STUD kit
  7. ARP 12pt Head Studs
  8. Mellings oil pump
  9. Comp Cam ( 231/234 lift 617"/598" 115+2 )
  10. Brian Tolley SLRLFT roller lifters
  11. Rollmaster timing chain
  12. ETP 215 66cc CNC and Hand ported heads 2.100" 1.57" valves, max flow intake @ 650 lift 348 CFM exhaust @650 lift 247 CFM
  13. LS3 MLS Head Gaskets
  14. Jessel Shaft Mount rockers 1.7
  15. Comp Moly Pushrods
  16. Fast LSX 102 MM intake for cathedral ports
  17. Racetronix 340L/HR Fuel pump
  18. Custom 4" Air intake
  19. LS7 MAF Card
  20. 2600 Stall

Latest update: Build is in progress, added some pics on page 2..apologies for the crappy quality, the camera sucked. BIG THANKS TO CHAMPION MOTORS www.championmotors.ca (Rob, Fern, Peter, Zerksis, Kevin) for all the knowledge they have shared with me

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like that build actually, quality parts choices and mild enough that it should have very good street manner such as going with a Maggie or something.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Hmm still seams a little low for that cam i would go with a 3k or 3200. I have a 3600 and it drives like stock. My 404 stroker made 501rwhp\467 rwtq but I have a bigger cam and race heads.
I say 480ish.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that build actually, quality parts choices and mild enough that it should have very good street manner such as going with a Maggie or something.

Exactly, I am going for street build so i dont want a lofty cam thats going to shake my car...lol and also Champion was talking about a procharger or TT setup

Hmm still seams a little low for that cam i would go with a 3k or 3200. I have a 3600 and it drives like stock. My 404 stroker made 501rwhp\467 rwtq but I have a bigger cam and race heads.
I say 480ish.

Yeah i figure it would make about that 470-480 to the wheels which is decent for an every day driver.

Did you guys do any flow analysis on your heads?

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Exactly, I am going for street build so i dont want a lofty cam thats going to shake my car...lol and also Champion was talking about a procharger or TT setup

Yeah i figure it would make about that 470-480 to the wheels which is decent for an every day driver.

Did you guys do any flow analysis on your heads?
No but my buddy has these same heads on his cts v. And hes making 800 without spray and 1100 on spray. So they fkow good

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No but my buddy has these same heads on his cts v. And hes making 800 without spray and 1100 on spray. So they fkow good

ok cool, good to know... I will check out dallas performance site.

What kinda mileage do you get driving it on the street? just curious

·
Premium Member
562 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
ok cool, good to know... I will check out dallas performance site.

What kinda mileage do you get driving it on the street? just curious
Contact taylor at dallas performance. Hes the owner and his shop does good work. Well known shop here in dallas. The build badass boosted ls motors and they compete with underground racing on tt kits for Lamborghini

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Ill see if I can call them up. I checked out their website, some bad ass cars indeed.

Its just getting parts from them is going to be $$$$$ for shipping, since they are in the dallas fort worth area and I am all the way up in Canada

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
Most everything looks good. Curious on the -8cc piston choice though? If this is going to be an N/A car I'd stick with something inthe -2/-4cc range.

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most everything looks good. Curious on the -8cc piston choice though? If this is going to be an N/A car I'd stick with something inthe -2/-4cc range.
Oh no, I do plan on starting off N/A mild street build then progressing to boost, either procharged or TT. This is after the trans is built. I figured I'd go piece by piece since I dont want to blow all my savings on the car.. haha

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Oh no, I do plan on starting off N/A mild street build then progressing to boost, either procharged or TT. This is after the trans is built. I figured I'd go piece by piece since I dont want to blow all my savings on the car.. haha
If you are doing boost go with -10. Gives you room to make good power with lots of boost. But fyi with having a low compression motor on n\a you wont make the power that you wanna maybe 450ish.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'd rather have a fast 102 over the tpis otherwise, i love the build

is the melling the 295 or 296 version

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are doing boost go with -10. Gives you room to make good power with lots of boost. But fyi with having a low compression motor on n\a you wont make the power that you wanna maybe 450ish.
-8cc is a good medium from what I understand, still i am unsure if I want to go boost or just stop with this motor for now and go weight reduction and then boost

Ill find out and let you know..forgot the version

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

we decided to go 102 over the tpis, also going with mellings 296, pressure will be high on the oil, hopefully wont cause any issues.

·
Registered
366 Posts
people are always saying their worried about the melling 296 because it is high volume, but I run one on my gto and never had an issue with it running the pan dry.

But I don't do road racing or anything where the rpms are high up and sustained for long periods.

The 102 will make more power, hope you enjoy it, sounds like a fun car.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
people are always saying their worried about the melling 296 because it is high volume, but I run one on my gto and never had an issue with it running the pan dry.

But I don't do road racing or anything where the rpms are high up and sustained for long periods.

I used the stock pump on my 404 build. I get 40-45 at idle and 70+ at wot. I also plugged the pressure relief valve too

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

We decided to go with the 295 and upgrade the spring from a little bit more pressure

·
om nom nom nom
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

Motor assembly has begun and the head gasket and intake that will be used are:
  • GM 080" MLS-5 head gasket (plan on boosting it in future)
  • Rotofab 102mm intake
Guesstimating about 450whp (n/a) on 91 octane pump gas and low 10s compression ratio.

Side note: we weighted the car in with the stock motor and 1/2 tank of gas the car weighed in at 3992lbs

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good luck on your build! Can't wait to read about the progress, and the end product.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts