Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's had to replace wheel bearings in the G8 thus far?

If you have, what was your milage and what was the symptom?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Carl told me one of mine is starting to go bad. Doesn't need immediate attention, but something that will need replacing.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the symptoms
Typically a growl noise, excessive play, or an ABS light.
Exactly, thanks aussiek2000. I get a growl/moan in the rear when turning slowly and tightly into a parking spot. No noise on straight line movement.

Maybe from your excessive wheel changing. :p

I don't think it's that though of a job.
LOL, probably :p

As for the job, from everything I have seen/read, it's a PITA on the G8.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Yup...Drive Systems

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

http://www.advantage-chevrolet.com/gm100000milewarranty.jsp

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy crap, you just made my day.

I'll be calling the dealership, thank you very much!

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
499 Posts
Ive got a bad one now, making an intermittent grinding/scraping noise and alignment is noticeably off and pulling to that side, and this will be my 5th wheel bearing replacement and first out of warranty since I just broke 50k miles, always happens when it hit a big crack or hole in the road just wrong, but I am running 20" rims on 35 profile tires so when things hit they hit hard and I try to avoid them like the plague; also have a slightly bent Breyton rim that needs replacing on the other side from hitting an unlevel pavement lip, still driveable just annoying at certain speeds. And it sure sucks having to shell out hundreds of $$$ to keep repairing the same things over and over instead of that money going towards go fast parts where it belongs! :(:soapbox:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is covered under 5yr 100K powertrain warranty. I am at almost 70K and it was replaced for no charge.

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
499 Posts
Ok sweet but being this is the 5th at some point they are going to make me pay and blame my wheels or something, which is partially true. We shall see.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If they blame the wheels, ask them reasoning. I bet your Breyton/Tire combo is about the same weight as OEM 19 GXP wheels and tire combo.

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
499 Posts
I believe the weight is very close, I just have less sidewall so of course would probably not be having as many broken with the stock tire setup...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like mine is falling victim to the same issue..
I made a 650 mile round trip this past weekend and started hearing the roar just yesterday morning on my way to work.

Would this be considered a common problem with our cars?
I'm at 74K and that just seems premature for the wheel bearing to be going bad.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I had one go bad at 20k. Replaced under warranty. They billed GM about $250.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, the G8 just turned 5300 miles, and my left rear wheel bearing is bad. I removed the knuckle last night and will see if I can get the bearing pressed in today. GM's are know to have wheel bearing problems, but at 5300 miles, that's absolutely ridiculous. This really ticks me off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts