Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a perfect set of SLP Fire hawks. My intentions are to widen them, use 5 mm spacers, . My question is... Will the rims be balanced, and safe? How do they usually widen them ? Any negative issues heard ?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you get them done by someone who knows what they're doing the widened wheels will be balanced and safe. I think there is two ways to widen wheels Eric Vaughn provides a whole back half of the rim so that you only have one weld seam when he's done. Very nice quality also. Weldcraft welds in a strip of metal based on the thickness you want your wheels widened. This leaves two weld seams, but also very nice quality. I've only heard very good things about these two places, unfortunately for most it requires considerable downtime as you have to ship them in and wait for the respective company to get to them. I'd be wary of the fix-a-rim places that say they can widen wheels. I've heard mixed reviews about these types of places.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Are they going to be as strong as unmodded wheels, I question if they could be. More to do with the extra shell width through.
I find myself being extra careful staying away from anything that might load just the inner bead.

My rears were done by Eric Vaughan to 9.5"

I ran them up before mounting tires, they are straight and wanted no weight

The only downside with Vaughan is the wait time.
I would use him again.
Gerry

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
The camaro ss wheels on my car were widened 2" with the complete back half, don't know who did them, but they were tru when I put tires on, been 2 1/2 years, no issues.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just make sure whoever does it knows what theyre doing. Its pretty common to widen stock wheels. It seems to have become more popular.

I love the look personally, but using spacers has never sat well with me. Id be much more concerned with getting a quality set of spacers that are true and hub centric and also concerned about the strength and length of your wheel studs.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will 5 mm spacers even make a difference ? Looks wise ? Im also using open lug nuts. I found a local wheel place here in Reno. He used to do fat tire rims for Harleys, etc.now expanding out to cars. So I am going to pick his brain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Will 5 mm spacers even make a difference ? Looks wise ?
Yeah, about 5mm or .196" ;)

I have never seen the backside of an SLP rim so can't say if the wheel will stay hubcentric with a 5mm spacer
You are also teetering on longer studs at 5mm depending on your lug nut.

How wide were you planning ?

My rears are 9.5 making them 67mm offset.
They are ungodly close to the inside with 285-35 Pirelli P Zeros

Careful heat gun on plastic liner and removing sharp edges at brake line mount was done to be safe.
The tires will just touch the edge of the liners at full droop ( like on hoist) but in such a way I would not be concerned if it happened while driving

I keep thinking I will do 3mm spacers for clearance but there has been no evidence of tire contact in the wheel wells.
285 with a 67 offset and no spacer , in my case, clears but is so close, I would never recommend someone blindly do it

This all is to do with the rear. I have no experience with front

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
From what I read your Firehawks are 43mm so widening them to 9.5" would get you a 62mm off set

With the commonly said to fit 19-9.5 CTSV sedan rear at 58 (some report 56) and mine barely at 67, this would suggest your widened SLP rims would fit well.

One thing I did find while searching G8 Firehawk rims is some people have reported them cracking and bending.
I do not know the circumstances but if they are not as robust as the factory rim, possibly this should be factored into the idea of widening them.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ULTIMATE sleeper wagon !!! Usually Saab people refer to their Saab 9/5 as just 9/5 . You'd be surprised how many G8 owners came from Saab. Still have that wagon ? Perfect for racing in the Costco parking lot with a load of groceries :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts