Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new flip key that needs to get cut. I went to at least 5 different locksmiths and no of them can cut my key. If you know of any please let me know Thanks!!

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Dealership? I had the same thing when I got my new key for my Mustang, nobody would cut it but the dealer. Ford dealer charged me $15 bucks. High but I needed it.

Check your local GM dealership.

You can program the key yourself.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not all dealers can cut these keys. It may take some digging from your dealer, but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Had to get mine cut too. My dealer didn't have the laser cutting tools but they told me of another dealership that did.

Make sure they copy your current set of keys. The first 2 times they tried cutting it based on my vin# or some code that tells them how to cut it and neither of them worked.

·
Registered
989 Posts
We have a laser cutter here, and as Karlhungus can attest, we still couldn't cut it. Lacked a component for the cutter.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had to have a key cut and my dealer had to send it out to Detroit. It was still under the 3/36 so couldn't tell you how much that would have been. Not cheap though!

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I bought my car (used), there was only a single flip key - no second key or glove box key. They gave me a check for $185 (I thought generous but surely adequate) to cover the cost of a 2nd key and glove box key, since I lived over 2000 miles away. The new keys (had to get a lock and key set for the glove box) cost just under $100. But the dealer in Burlingame, CA, Putnam GM, hit me up for over $500 to install the lock assy and cut/program the new flip key. I learned afterwards that programming instructions were in the manual.

When I got a Holden flip key on ebay, the guy at the parts counter said the charge to cut a key was $8, but he did mine for free since my car was in for service (that was covered fully under CPO).

Good Luck!

c

·
Registered
588 Posts
When I bought my car (used), there was only a single flip key - no second key or glove box key. They gave me a check for $185 (I thought generous but surely adequate) to cover the cost of a 2nd key and glove box key, since I lived over 2000 miles away. The new keys (had to get a lock and key set for the glove box) cost just under $100. But the dealer in Burlingame, CA, Putnam GM, hit me up for over $500 to install the lock assy and cut/program the new flip key. I learned afterwards that programming instructions were in the manual.

When I got a Holden flip key on ebay, the guy at the parts counter said the charge to cut a key was $8, but he did mine for free since my car was in for service (that was covered fully under CPO).

Good Luck!

c
I thought that there weren't any holden keys that fit our cars?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
The Mustang dude
1,346 Posts
How much did you guys pay for the new flip key? Mine fell apart a while ago and I'm torn between getting another flip style key or just getting a fixed key.
Also, whats the glove box lock set cost?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got a flip key for a VE Commodore on ebay and it works fine. Never have seen a fixed Holden key that didn't have a Chevy bowtie on it.

I *thought* I'd kept records, but I can't find what I paid for the glovebox and flip key lock set(s). The ticket says they were customer-supplied. Yeah, after I bought it from them. The parts orders were on a different ticket.

Anyhoo, they charged $306 to cut and program the flip key (with remote fob, so it were a 2-fer :() and $229 to R&R the glovebox lock set.

I looked on one of the GM parts web sites and they show a "retail" of 29.45 for the glovebox lock set, but ever different part site has slightly different prices, so check 'em out. IMO, it might be better to pay the dealer for the part and save maybe $20+ for shipping, with a 3-week wait for delivery.

Perf Yrs now has some '04-06 GTO and G8 stuff, so they might have them

c

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
I don't understand why people are buying un-cut keys when the pre-cut keys are the same price. Am I missing something here? :confused:

·
The Mustang dude
1,346 Posts
I don't understand why people are buying un-cut keys when the pre-cut keys are the same price. Am I missing something here? :confused:
Well I was looking at uncut because I figured they'd be less expensive and also because I can swap in my current key and transmitter. Now if I have to buy a whole new key, I'd just assume get another fixed key because the whole "switchblade" style has proven to be a problem waiting to happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts