Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped heads, cam, waterpump, all hoses, radiator, ac condenser, etc. Unfortunately I forgot exactly where the three rubber flaps that install on the radiator or condenser go. Two of the flaps are identical and one is much longer. Does anyone have pictures of these installed?

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
My car is not here at this time to try to see *how* those 3 rubber sealing strips actually attach. I can see/read, that they are installed down both sides an the across the top, to seal up the gap that must exist between the radiator an condenser after installation is complete. They obviously want all the air that passes thru the condenser, to continue to pass thru the radiator (with the least amount of that air escaping out thru those otherwise, open an less restricted areas. Looks like you would have to visualize how they were attached at this time. *IF* I can remember to look at my car later, maybe I'll be able to see exactly *how* those 3 rubber pieces were secured an to what surface (as in radiator support structure, radiator, or condenser, etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seemed as though the two shorter flaps attached down the side of the radiator as that was the only edge they would clip onto. The long one doesn't have an edge on the radiator, and it's not apparent on the condenser as to where it would attach.

I had bought an aftermarket condenser but it broke on install. Very cheaply made. A factory one should be arriving tomorrow. I can't believe that they routed the power steering fluid through the condenser!

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
If I recall, they slip on the edge of the sides of the condenser and sit snug against the radiator. A 3rd one across the top.
I remember I bought 3 new ones at the GM recommendation when I bought a new replacement, but ended up returning them to my cool parts guy.
I did an image search to refresh my memory, one of the seals is 92191951, a few images showed this. Sorry I didn't take enough pics when I did it the radiator R&R

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
I can see that the 2 vertical pieces are clinched onto a raised flange created on the forward sides of the radiator (creating a seal in the gap area between the radiator an condenser). The piece across the top looks like it *was* attached to the aft facing top lip of the condenser to seal the same way. But mine is deformed an basically just stuffed in there. With the wire loom laying clamped over the top of it, I have no desire to attempt to get it realigned, and secured correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts