Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my belt has jumped off so I guess it is time for the revised ac tensioner. Where does one buy it at? I have heard crazy paul has them. Any vendors carry them? Is this piece the only real fix for the problem? If I was to replace it with another stock one would it last me another 40k miles approximately?

What are my options here?

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
The free option is to put it back on when it pops off. Mine has popped off once in 4 years. After putting it back on, I've been down the drag strip 5 times plus normal spirited driving and it hasn't come off again so far. If it only comes off say once a year, I'll just live with it. You're not forced induction at this point, so it shouldn't come off too often (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Give CP a holler, new bracket will fix your blues. 190 shipped, did mine and no problems all the way to the redline!

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The free option is to put it back on when it pops off. Mine has popped off once in 4 years. After putting it back on, I've been down the drag strip 5 times plus normal spirited driving and it hasn't come off again so far. If it only comes off say once a year, I'll just live with it. You're not forced induction at this point, so it shouldn't come off too often (hopefully).
To be honest I haven't even put it back on to see how long it takes to jump back off. Haha. I just assumed the way everyone talks about it that once it starts jumping off it is going to do it on a regular basis.

Thanks for the other replies as well guys. Looks like CP is the best option if I do end up needing to buy one though.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
I too had my accessory belt come off, the second time it didn't come off, rather it rode in the center of the balancer, rubbing against the main serpentine belt.

The belt tensioner was not my issue, a wobbly harmonic balancer was.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine jumped off my gt about 4 times in about 27k miles of driving. Didn't bother me too much other than it always seemed to do it when it was hot as heck and was actually using the a/c and didn't have what I needed to put it back on. Lol I have the GXP now and hasn't happened so far. Is the ls3 prone to this also?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have had my car two years and put over 55k miles on it in that time the car has now 106k miles. So far during my ownership of the car the A/C belt has come off about 5 or 6 times. So far the belt is still in good shape no damage to it and it goes back on pretty easy only takes a few minutes. The first few times I took the air intake off just to get better access. Now I don't bother with that. Though I will say I have small hands and with my job of build machinery I am pretty use to sliding my hands into tight areas and doing work that most can't. With the fix costing close to 200 bucks I will keep just putting the belt back on till it needs to be replaced. I have found for some reason mine seems to come if I am doing aggressive driving and have the A/C off now that is is hot and I run the A/C it has not come off in the last month or so even with my hard drivng style. Hey I bought the car to have fun and it is so fun to get to the speed limiter which for my car seems to be 140 thought the GT was less than that 135 or somethingoh well. Oh back to the topic:slap:

In my opinion unless there is damage done reinstall the belt and see what happens that only costs you a few minutes, if it starts happening all the time and you just don't want to deal with it then get the fix other wise just have fun with your car.

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had my car two years and put over 55k miles on it in that time the car has now 106k miles. So far during my ownership of the car the A/C belt has come off about 5 or 6 times. So far the belt is still in good shape no damage to it and it goes back on pretty easy only takes a few minutes. The first few times I took the air take off just to get better access. now I don't bother with that. Though I will say I have small hands and with my job of build machinery I am pretty use to sliding my hands into tight areas and doing work that most can't. With the fix costing close to 200 bucks I will keep just putting the belt back on till it needs to be replaced. I have found for some reason mine seems to come if I am doing aggressive driving and have the A/C off now that is is hot and I run the A/C it has not come off in the last month or so even with my hard drivng style. Hey I bought the car to have fun and it is so fun to get to the speed limiter which for my car seems to be 140 thought the Gt was less than that. oh back to the topic

In my opinion unless there is damage done reinstall the belt and see what happens that only costs you a few minutes, if it starts happening all the time and you just don't want to deall with it then get the fix other wise just have fun with your car.
Definitely gonna try to just put the belt back on. I hadn't realized this many people have had luck with just putting it back on. Im guessing an aftermarket intake makes for a lot more room to reach down and put the belt back on so hopefully tiny hands wont be needed. haha

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Mine popped off once and I replaced it with one 1/2 inch smaller cause when I got to looking at it the tensioner was almost all the way at its limit and I thought this may be the problem which is why I went with a slightly smaller one. That was 2 years ago and so far so good.

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine popped off once and I replaced it with one 1/2 inch smaller cause when I got to looking at it the tensioner was almost all the way at its limit and I thought this may be the problem which is why I went with a slightly smaller one. That was 2 years ago and so far so good.
Any chance you might still have that part number somewhere?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Noted my AC wasn't working a couple of months ago. As others said I assumed the actual unit needed repair/charging. I only looked closer at it a few weeks ago. Sure enough the belt was off. It was easy to pop back on. Removing the intake does make it easier. It's only been two weeks, but so far so good.

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put my belt back a couple weeks ago as well and so far so good.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I put my belt back a couple weeks ago as well and so far so good.
Mine only comes off when I get to dog legging it cutting doughnuts...I have my dual tension that still needs to be put on. It will be exciting to cut some doughnuts AND stay cool while doing it LOL :gr_jest:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts