Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm running kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers with the x pipe to my stock gt mufflers. I'm wanting more sound but nothing too loud. I also want zero drone. I used to have a magnaflow catback system and absolutely hated it because of the drone. I'm thinking about going with some gxp mufflers. Does anyone have that setup up and if you do, how does it sound? I've seen some people post on the board that it sounds too raspy.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Sadly it sounds like you're going to be much louder no matter what you go with besides the GT axle backs.
You can always get a set fabbed up with some J pipes to help with the drone. Gxp axle backs will be louder, little raspy like you said.
Are you tuning AFM out or leaving it on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Sadly it sounds like you're going to be much louder no matter what you go with besides the GT axle backs.
You can always get a set fabbed up with some J pipes to help with the drone. Gxp axle backs will be louder, little raspy like you said.
Are you tuning AFM out or leaving it on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Agreed. I pondered in this thread for a few minutes and really cant offer any solid Axleback advice that increases the sound a little bit with Kooks LTs and Kooks XPipe.

Maybe look into some Electric Cutouts? That way you can wake the dead as you wish at a stop light on weekends and close them up for a whisper quiet commute to work?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Troy, have you seen anyone go the Hooker route with Kooks LTs?
No I have not. But i had seen some threads with others using long tubes mated to the hookers. I havent heard any of the systems in person, just going by what I have read on here over the past couple of months.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
^ Wow, that sounds good and is really tame at idle. This might be the ticket for people who have LTs and don't want to be to loud/no rasp while eliminating drone. They can also be had for a fraction of the cost. Too quiet for me personally, but I like it.

How much fabrication is needed to incorporate these? I've read a few threads here and there but I guess a reminder would be nice for myself and the OP. :)

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I would go with the GXP mufflers and think you would like it. It's simple and if you don't like it put them back on the board for sale. All you got to lose is some shipping and handling. Their is nother more than exhaust sound that we here on the board beat up on our selfs with. Just do it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
^ Wow, that sounds good and is really tame at idle. This might be the ticket for people who have LTs and don't want to be to loud/no rasp while eliminating drone. They can also be had for a fraction of the cost. Too quiet for me personally, but I like it.

How much fabrication is needed to incorporate these? I've read a few threads here and there but I guess a reminder would be nice for myself and the OP. :)
Yeah, the sound at idle and cruise is tame but WOT lets people know you're working with something. Had to match my license plate. :D

It's all in just adding two 90* elbows and flanges to make an axleback. Tips of your own choosing as well.
Half the price of any other axle "made" for our cars and NO drone whatsoever.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts