Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which front LCA? It looks like it's been a couple years since this has been discussed. Proforged now has an offering and it looks like AC Delco OEM is no longer available. I would prefer a sealed ball joint. The Proforged are pricey at about $130. I purchased a MevoTech a few years ago and sent it back because the ball joint felt like it was full of sand.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Which front LCA? It looks like it's been a couple years since this has been discussed. Proforged now has an offering and it looks like AC Delco OEM is no longer available. I would prefer a sealed ball joint. The Proforged are pricey at about $130. I purchased a MevoTech a few years ago and sent it back because the ball joint felt like it was full of sand.
MevoTech supreme is where it's at due to their lifetime warranty (Proforged has a similar warranty I believe) and upgraded ball joint.

SuperPro has arms as well. I have a brand new unopened set that I'll be selling when I get around to it.

One of the Proforged arms is $55 on Amazon right now.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I snagged the one Proforged LCA on Amazon... Hopefully that other side will come down in price soon. I have the MevoTech upper control arms and they drop grease into my wheels which I would like to avoid with a sealed ball joint. Plus, over the last few years, I haven't had the time or lift for maintenance that I did before.

I am going to pass on the SuperPro LCAs. I don't think I want any poly up front with maybe the exception of the Polyelast upper strut mounts.

Speaking of deals, a certain popular online parts retailer has MevoTech rear upper control arms on closeout for $17 each. I know my rear suspension needs some attention and I am going to try to inspect the ball joint on that arm to see if it needs replaced as well.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
$17 is nice, $22 as cheapest shipping is meh.

Reactions: GXP25

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
If the Mevotech joints leak grease. That means you over filled them. When you grease them, stop as soon as you see the boot start to bulge, or squeeze the bulb to get the extra grease out before you drive. I was the first to install Mevotech’s in 2013. Stock has 2 problems. One the stock radius arm bushing is filled with Dexcool. Makes to too soft and mushy for good handling. Two is the ball on the stud is unpolished and it rides in a pre-greased white nylon race that wears out very fast. The boots would crack and let water in, the unpolished ball would rust and accelerate the wear. This is why the rear straight arm would wear out first because the joint was below the boot and collected the water.
Mevotech polished and black oxide coated the ball to stop corrosion. The ball runs in a sintered bronze bearings that are greased. Yes they are really tight and hard to move when new. They have to break in. They also used a solid rubber radius arm bushing. Steering is much more accurate. I’m sure most of the aftermarket arm bushings are similar and not like the mushy OEM ones. Any sealed ball joint is going to use a plastic or nylon wear surface inside. Looking at the Proforged photos, it looks like the stud may be plated. That would make the ball smooth and last longer than stock. They give a million mile warranty, but they expect you will sell or trade the car before it wears out and it’s someone else’s problem. It’s funny that the Camaro never had this problem. They learned and made the ball in the joint larger and avoided it all.
PS nice find on the clearance arms, going to have to Rock a set for my Auto.

Reactions: GXP25

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the Mevotech joints leak grease. That means you over filled them. When you grease them, stop as soon as you see the boot start to bulge, or squeeze the bulb to get the extra grease out before you drive. I was the first to install Mevotech’s in 2013. Stock has 2 problems. One the stock radius arm bushing is filled with Dexcool. Makes to too soft and mushy for good handling. Two is the ball on the stud is unpolished and it rides in a pre-greased white nylon race that wears out very fast. The boots would crack and let water in, the unpolished ball would rust and accelerate the wear. This is why the rear straight arm would wear out first because the joint was below the boot and collected the water.
Mevotech polished and black oxide coated the ball to stop corrosion. The ball runs in a sintered bronze bearings that are greased. Yes they are really tight and hard to move when new. They have to break in. They also used a solid rubber radius arm bushing. Steering is much more accurate. I’m sure most of the aftermarket arm bushings are similar and not like the mushy OEM ones. Any sealed ball joint is going to use a plastic or nylon wear surface inside. Looking at the Proforged photos, it looks like the stud may be plated. That would make the ball smooth and last longer than stock. They give a million mile warranty, but they expect you will sell or trade the car before it wears out and it’s someone else’s problem. It’s funny that the Camaro never had this problem. They learned and made the ball in the joint larger and avoided it all.
PS nice find on the clearance arms, going to have to Rock a set for my Auto.
Thanks for the info. Yea, I know I overgreased them.

Did your MevoTech LCA ball joints feel gritty when you got them? I bought both and wound up installing the UCAs because the ball joints felt good in those ones... though I haven't greased them in a few years so they may be junk.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Thanks! I snagged the one Proforged LCA on Amazon... Hopefully that other side will come down in price soon. I have the MevoTech upper control arms and they drop grease into my wheels which I would like to avoid with a sealed ball joint. Plus, over the last few years, I haven't had the time or lift for maintenance that I did before.

I am going to pass on the SuperPro LCAs. I don't think I want any poly up front with maybe the exception of the Polyelast upper strut mounts.

Speaking of deals, a certain popular online parts retailer has MevoTech rear upper control arms on closeout for $17 each. I know my rear suspension needs some attention and I am going to try to inspect the ball joint on that arm to see if it needs replaced as well.
Unfortunately, that takes the warranty from lifetime to 30 days.

But either way, I just bought a pair (~$50 shipped after 5% discount). This make the R&R of the rear of my vehicle cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Hi FastKat. I wouldn’t say gritty. They were stiff and knotchy. It was hard to move them by hand. I did take them off while I was under the car when they were 2 years old. The joint moved smoothly with no slack. Was installing the front sway bar at the time. I do my own oil changes so they got lubed at each oil change. Had Moog sway bar links so they got lubed at the same time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I may wind up giving those MevoTech arms a try if I cannot find a super deal in that other Proforged arm... which I don't think I will.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Thanks. I may wind up giving those MevoTech arms a try if I cannot find a super deal in that other Proforged arm... which I don't think I will.
Make sure to go with the Supreme version if you do. Which are also closeout on RockAuto right now.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
$17 is nice, $22 as cheapest shipping is meh.
For those who pulled the trigger, inspect the bushing boots on the arms. Since they were loosely packed in the box, with handling by Ace Ventura, one boot was torn. RA promptly sent a replacement.

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
^^^ This as Rock Auto's shipping rates are a bit rich at times. Ace Ventura clip is definitely a classic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts