Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyone's opinons on which headers to get? Size, brand, ETC... Already have Borla cat back, and am getting ready to cam it with DOD delete kit....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Kooks, or American Racing Headers (without the mid pipes)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I say Kooks, but it's really up to how much $ you want to spend.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Is it possible for the Kooks LT's or ARH systems to bolt up to a solo cat-back? Does some fabricating need to be done?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is it possible for the Kooks LT's or ARH systems to bolt up to a solo cat-back? Does some fabricating need to be done?
Kooks LTs, yes. American Racing Header System, no.

Call Solo and ask them you'd like a system that bolts up to Kooks LT Headers. They can fabricate any of the Mach systems for this. No fabrication required. It all bolts right up. My car has this combination and the fitment was perfect.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Kooks, or American Racing Headers (without the mid pipes)
If he already has the Borla cat-back he will need custom exhaust work to make it all work with either the Kooks or ARH long tubes. Custom connection piping needs to be fabricated and flange/weld to the headers.

Options that will bolt up to the OP's Borla directly:

* Doug Thorley Tri-Y 1-3/4 long tubes, no cats (no longer made)
* Pacesetter 1-3/4 long tubes, no cats (requires their $50 connection pipes).
* SLP 1-3/4 long tubes with high flow cats
* Kooks 1-7/8 mids with high flow cats

There are other long tubes options for our cars - Stainless Steel Works, Dynatech, JBA, OBX. None of them however bolt up to the cat-back and all need either their mid-pipes to the axle-back or custom exhaust work.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
IMO - if you need some fabrication to match up Kooks or ARH you may as well get another lower priced brand like JBA (which I have and are very well made), or OBX, - I would not recommend anything that isn't stainless like pacesetter or Thorley. I wonder if hooker makes G8 headers as well? And there is also SLP

But like I said if you need some welding/fab may as well get a cheaper LT to begin w/.....my JBA's weren't that difficult for the shop to match up at all, maybe 1 hour labor extra?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Kooks LTs, yes. American Racing Header System, no.

Call Solo and ask them you'd like a system that bolts up to Kooks LT Headers. They can fabricate any of the Mach systems for this. No fabrication required. It all bolts right up. My car has this combination and the fitment was perfect.
ARH will sell just the long tubes without mid pipe if you call them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
IMO - if you need some fabrication to match up Kooks or ARH you may as well get another lower priced brand like JBA (which I have and are very well made), or OBX, - I would not recommend anything that isn't stainless like pacesetter or Thorley. I wonder if hooker makes G8 headers as well? And there is also SLP

But like I said if you need some welding/fab may as well get a cheaper LT to begin w/.....my JBA's weren't that difficult for the shop to match up at all, maybe 1 hour labor extra?
JBA is not really lower priced than Kooks. They were available for dirt cheap from eBay a little while back, but that's no longer the case. Also uses 409 stainless steel, won't look as nice as 304. Kooks, just the headers can be purchased in the $750-$800 range. Need to contact Maryland Speed to find out what the current latest and greatest price is. OBX costs about the same but includes the mid-piping, which the OP doesn't need and they are lower quality than Kooks.

Dynatech is another option I would strongly consider if doing custom fabrication since they are about $850 shipped but look like they are longer than Kooks and have less sharp bends in them.

Don't really agree with you on the stainless only comment. Doug Thorley or Pacesetter Coated come with ceramic coating. Not sure about Pacesetter, but I've seen pictures of Doug Thorleys after they've been on cars for a couple of years and they still look very nice. I've had Kooks long tubes on my GT, and just picked up Kooks mids for my GXP, but after doing some thinking picked up a set of Doug Thorleys instead.

·
Registered
528 Posts
ARH will sell just the long tubes without mid pipe if you call them.
Yes but I am not sure of American Racing longtubes are the same dimensions as the Kooks longtubes... I know Solo Performance has systems that will bolt up directly to the Kooks LTs.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
JBA is not really lower priced than Kooks. They were available for dirt cheap from eBay a little while back, but that's no longer the case. Also uses 409 stainless steel, won't look as nice as 304. Kooks, just the headers can be purchased in the $750-$800 range. Need to contact Maryland Speed to find out what the current latest and greatest price is. OBX costs about the same but includes the mid-piping, which the OP doesn't need and they are lower quality than Kooks.

Dynatech is another option I would strongly consider if doing custom fabrication since they are about $850 shipped but look like they are longer than Kooks and have less sharp bends in them.

Don't really agree with you on the stainless only comment. Doug Thorley or Pacesetter Coated come with ceramic coating. Not sure about Pacesetter, but I've seen pictures of Doug Thorleys after they've been on cars for a couple of years and they still look very nice. I've had Kooks long tubes on my GT, and just picked up Kooks mids for my GXP, but after doing some thinking picked up a set of Doug Thorleys instead.
Didn't know they weren't still cheap. I got them for $450 shipped in 409 stainless then had them coated locally sterling silver for $200....pretty good deal IMO. I would never ever buy non-stainless for any exhaust component (unless for clearance issues you were reverting to some edelbrock cast iron headers) for the simple fact of longevity. I don't care if you coat the headers - the Pacesetters for example WILL hang lower and all it takes is one tiny nick on them to start the oxidization process, then poof they're useless. Why not just spend the extra couple hundred and get stainless headers?

I didn't know dynatech made headers for the G8 but they're a good brand as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Didn't know they weren't still cheap. I got them for $450 shipped in 409 stainless then had them coated locally sterling silver for $200....pretty good deal IMO. I would never ever buy non-stainless for any exhaust component (unless for clearance issues you were reverting to some edelbrock cast iron headers) for the simple fact of longevity. I don't care if you coat the headers - the Pacesetters for example WILL hang lower and all it takes is one tiny nick on them to start the oxidization process, then poof they're useless. Why not just spend the extra couple hundred and get stainless headers?

I didn't know dynatech made headers for the G8 but they're a good brand as well.
The JBA deal was available and a great deal when I was looking but I decided to pass due to the custom work involved in installing them. Looks like the JBA's are now $750 shipped at the least, not really worth it being almost the same price as Kooks/Dynatech.

As for non-stainless headers being worthless, that's what I thought too, hence the reason why I went with Kooks for my GT and originally buying Kooks Mids for my GXP. After seeing multiple pictures of used Doug Thorleys for sale on this board, where they all basically look like new after a couple of years, I decided to go with them instead since the best solution for me is something that just bolts up to stock cat-back and does not have cats on it. They have much better clearance than Pacesetter or SLP as a bonus. I have a reasonable expectation for their longevity, which is not lifetime, but quite a few years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not too worried if it won't bolt right up. I have a spare set of pipes that from Borla (originally has a stripped O2 bung so they sent another set at no charge) so they can me modified as needed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm not too worried if it won't bolt right up. I have a spare set of pipes that from Borla (originally has a stripped O2 bung so they sent another set at no charge) so they can me modified as needed.
In that case and if you don't need catalytic converters, I would get one of the nicer 304 stainless headers:

- Kooks long tubes which cost about $780 shipped, call Marylandspeed for their current best price.
- Dynatech long tubes which cost about $850 shipped from PFYC.com

If you're going to get them coated or don't mind the look of 409 stainless you could go with JBA long tubes which autoanything has for $670 shipped using SPRING15 coupon. I would still personally go with either Kooks or Dynatech in this scenario although it may be worth giving ARH a call to see what the price of just the headers would be.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Obx you can get the complete system for 770 shipped to your door from engine to behind the axle same dimensions as kooks all polished stainless.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Obx you can get the complete system for 770 shipped to your door from engine to behind the axle same dimensions as kooks all polished stainless.
The OP said he wants to keep his Borla cat-back so he would be basically throwing away the mid-section of the OBX and only using the headers. For his purpose the systems basically cost the same, so why would he get lower quality headers that are a Kooks knock-off to begin with if it won't save him any money?

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Your options are wide open if you are ok with chopping into your catback. What is your budget? There are top, mid, and low price point set ups. If money is in no shortage, go Kooks or ARH LTs. Also figure out if you want to go catted or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am looking for headers and full exhaust system for my 09GT. I am going for sound, performance, and maybe fuel economy if I can ever get my foot off the gas. For some background I had a 98 camaro with pacesetter LT (which I was not a huge fan of i would have rather had the QTP or Kooks but the price was right at the time) to a custom X pipe dumped at the axial with spyrial flow mufflers that sounded amazing, so I was thinking of something like that unless these cars aren't really good for that kind of set up. Any help for me would be great and may help the OP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Kooks 1 7/8 Mid Headers bolted up to my Borla catback. I love this setup, but I will soon be getting a Procharger D-1SC and I have been told that running the FI into the Mid-length headers with hi-flow cats could potentially hold my power back.

Question is would it be worth it (HP & $$$ wise) to get a long-tube header? I also want something to bolt right up to my Borla and Pacesetter / SLP were 2 of the systems I was looking at. If American Racing would sell me just the headers, and they would bolt up to my system, I would probably go that route.

I am already at 410 RWHP on a 91 tune with a small cam (223/231) and LS3 heads. My goal is to be around 525-550 RWHP. Do you guys think this is obtainable with the Kooks Mids?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't see why not, my mods are in my sig and I'm pretty close. If anything keep the Mids for now and dyno with them. Then if it's not as much power as you were expecting you can always swap on LT's and sell the mids to recoup your upgrade cost. Dyno again and you'd have an idea of how much power you gained.

General thought as far as I know is LT's give 10-15 hp more vs. Mids. With the power levels you're talking about I doubt you'd even notice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts