Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on getting a cam eventually but for now I’m running bolt ons. Would 3.27s be good or 3.45s?

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts

Reactions: Pontiac_Maniac

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Because the 6L80e trans has such a low first gear. Every GXP, Chevy SS or fifth Gen Camaro with the 6 speed auto has a 3.27 rear ratio. Manual trans always need more gear. The GXP and Chevy SS manuals got 3.70 and Camaros got 3.45. The only reason I could see going to 3.45 would be of you were Autocrossing and need more acceleration from corners. You won’t regret a 3.27, you might regret the 3.45.

·
every village has one
2,369 Posts
^^^^^^listen to this gentleman
I switched to 3.27’s but in a blown car. Overall, it makes the car feel ”lighter” in normal circumstances.
it is not kind to tires......
I think you’ll love the 3.27.

·
11 second bolt-on car!
222 Posts
If you have your choice between 3.27 and 3.45, 3.45s are the clear choice. The difference between them is roughly 100rpm at 75mph.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Only if you have traction. Unless you have much wider rear tires to handle the extra torque. 3.45’s would just make you good for burnout contests. Just like too high a stall converter, too much gear won’t always make you faster. You have to plan out drivetrain. The 3.27 will raise highway rpm about 230 rpm. The 3.45 about another 110 rpm on top of that

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also depends what size wheel you are running. Stock 18” I would go 3.27. If running 20” wheels the 3.45 will be just fine. Mine hooks up just fine even with pizza cutters and extra 100 HP at the wheels.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Rim size means nothing. It’s the overall diameter that counts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts