Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering which magnaflow tru-x muffler to get for my Kooks mid-pipe exhaust. I have the Kooks long tube headers (1 7/8) Kooks HFC, Kooks X-pipe and mid pipes back to a stock axle-back. I want to get the Magnaflow Tru-X muffler to place right after the X pipe (a'la Patrick G, but he used an American Racing system) and then a homemade axle back.
It's my understanding the Kooks mid-pipes go from a 3" to a 2.5", so there in lies my question.
Do I get the part #12468 2.5" in and out, or the #12599 3" in and out?

I think I found one person who was going to try it, but changed their mind so I don't know of anyone here who has done this to their G8 yet.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Double check but im pretty sure the 3" one part # 12469 IS NOT a x-pipe design.

and do you plan on using this in place of the kooks xpipe or placing this after it, therefore running 2 xpipes?

**Edit**

I just checked magnaflows website and sure enough 12469 is dual in dual out but NOT true x pipe design.

The only dual in dual out 3" on both sides and true x design is part number 12599. But this thing is huge; case length 22" overall length 28".

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on running two x pipes, Pat G has it on his car and he said it lost zero power, is quiet and eliminated drone.

Oh yes, missed that...those sneaky people, that would mean I would have to get the #12599??

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just looked and measured my system sense its laying on my carpet waiting to be installed. Looks light you have only 1 option and which is placing in the 3" section. it MIGHT fit but you have cut into where it starts to bend. The straight section is 20.5" long you need 22" to fit that magnaflow muffler.

So you could either make it fit but then your push back the rest of your exhaust and your tips will stick out a couple inches more. or, you shorten the 2.5" sections by like 2" and then everything will remain the same length.

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for measuring all that up, but Magnaflow Tru-X 3" in 3" (#12599) is 28" long, so it will not work according to those measurements. Might have to think about option B, when I figure that one out.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you wanted to put 2.5" muffler in the 3" section you could and there is one that is only 20" long. 11386
FYI, the Magnaflo #11386 is not a Tru-X

·
Registered
786 Posts
http://forum.***********/showthread.php?t=19971 If this isnt

allowed mods please delete.

after looking at these pics just go with the 2.5" 12468 and set it up exactly as he did. Even though he has ARH it will work the same with the kooks. I did some more measuring on my x pipe section and it will fit perfect. I had one of these mufflers too and just sold it! now im real curious what it would sound like with this setup. If you do it post a video!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, that was the thread I was referring to. I did look at your muffler that was for sale but thought, damn it's a 2.5" not a 3". Still in the thinking stage, just want it quiet but mean, don't want to advertise too much, was thinking about the Hooker Maxflow everyone is buying, but worried it's too loud....maybe the Hookers and some (2) long magnaflo resonators in place of where I was gonna put the Tru-X.....hmmmm.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just read through all 30 pages of that thread and now im really kicking myself for selling it. the videos of LT's with cats, regular x, and magnaflow muff x sounds so deep and smooth. Exactly what I'm looking for because I dont really care for any rasp, pings, or tinning, sounds in the exhaust note.

I'm gonna call magnaflow and verify the 3" 12469 because someone else posted that they bought that one and it was an x pipe inside.

·
Registered
556 Posts
For size reference....here is the Magnaflow 12468 next to stock midpipe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I actually bought the mid muffler with x pipe built in. it is a true x.

If you go to the other forum (Grrr8) and go under my screen name same as the one I have on here you see that I got my exhaust done with the mid muffler.

·
Registered
479 Posts
By his description on the other board, I'm assuming he used the 3" 12469. This looks like the way I want to go with my exhaust since I just purchased Kooks 1 7/8 LTs from a board member. I have Solo axle backs and want to keep them. I know someone running a ARH system with Solo axle backs and it isn't much louder than my current setup of x-pipe and resonators deleted.

When you guys talk about Pat G's exhaust, is he running 2 x-pipes in his setup?

EDIT I found a thread on the other site when he was selling his ARH system that shows the x-pipe then the Magnaflow mid muffler 12468.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just got off the phone with magnaflow tech support. dual in/out 3" part number 12469 IS NOT a true x perforated core. He said it is basically two "Y" pipes connected. He also verified that the ONLY dual in/out 3" with true x perforated core is larger one that is 28" overall length.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FYI, just got off the phone with Magnaflow and the 3" dual in, dual out part #12469 in NOT a tru-x, it has dual in, y-pipe, center perforated tube, then a y-pipe, then dual out. According to Magnaflow there was not enough room for a tru-x in that muffler.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OMG, why didn't you tell me before I called?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts