Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove one the other day with kooks headers, cats, mid pipe to stock mufflers, seemed much quieter inside than i had ever expected.

I don't mind if it roars behind or around the car when on the gas... but would rather not have the type of noise our GTP has with a cam, headers, magnaflows, h/f cat, 3" pipe etc.... its loud at startup and idle....

I'm assuming the stock mufflers are the only thing keeping it quiet

What makes should i not look into "loudest"
which are louder than stock but not a ton of drone inside the car?

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
There was recently a sale on Hooker maxflows that several of us got but they are sold out now. The GXP mufflers are another option you might consider though. You might search through more threads about those two mufflers to get some more specific info.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I guess I'll be the first to say Solo. I've got kooks mids mated to Solo's Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) catback and it's still quiet inside the car. I actually think that after I got my headers installed that the sound inside the car went down from just having the catback installed. I had their axle-backs on my previous GT and it was super quiet inside the car also.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My corsa cat back isn't too loud inside the car. Cruising you can't hear anything. But around town you can tell it has an exhaust on it, but still not too loud inside the car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Actually my set up is slightly quieter at cruising/highway speed than it was with just axle-backs. Not sure how, but it is. That changes when you step on it though...lol

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'd be interested to hear/see videos of these next to a stock GT muff set up. Seems like it would be louder once you add headers and all that. (scratching head)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Corsa and Solo, while louder than stock, are two very streetable setups because they are designed to cancel out drone, which kills your ears a lot worse than just noise.

I've got the Solo on my GT, and a Corsa setup on my Bonneville GXP. Whisper quiet on the highway, full out screamer when you want it to be.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
where are you located? I have a set of turbo muffs, but you'd have to put them on here if you just wanted to hear them before buying another axleback.

·
Nice Weather, Please?
775 Posts
I have GXP mufflers, x-pipe, and Doug Thorley LT headers. The car is loud pretty outside, but barely noticeable on the highway with windows up. The drone is what makes the mufflers unbearable in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I am probably going to remove my solo axle back in hopes of getting the American Racing Header system. I will run the stock muffs for now with an X pipe in place of the mid muffler and still run the stock muffs after the ARH. Yeti's car sounds great with the stock muffs. I may try some Magnaflows with the ARH system though.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My plan is solo as soon as I can afford it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I was shocked at how quiet my Corsa was inside the car after I installed my Kooks LTs and catles mids. Around town, and cruising on the highway, you can hear it but it's very tame. Now when you open her up, that's a whole different story.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Both Magnaflow systems will have some Drone. Also, they don't sound as good at idle as some of the other setups. They do sound pretty good when you step on it though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have my GXP mufflers I would sell you if your interested but to ECHO hivoltagedriver above I was shocked at how quiet my Corsa was inside the car after I installed my Kooks LTs and high flow cats. Around town, and cruising on the highway, you can hear it but it's very tame. Now when you open her up, that's a whole different story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.