Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.So Ive been reading around and havent found a truly definitive answer.Mobil 1 0W-40 Or German Castrol 0w-40?I figured why not ask the guys and or gals on the forum.Will be the first oil change for the G8.

· Registered
535 Posts
I have always ran Mobile 1 5w-30 in my car. Year round daily driver and I've put 50k miles on the clock. Awesome oil.

· Registered
915 Posts
Hello to all.So Ive been reading around and havent found a truly definitive answer.Mobil 1 0W-40 Or German Castrol 0w-40?I figured why not ask the guys and or gals on the forum.Will be the first oil change for the G8.
Note: German Castrol is now:
Castrol Edge with SPT 0W-30.

· Registered
6,803 Posts
You'll get different replies and I feel that your major brands are all fine. Mobile 1,penzoil,castrol,royal purple. People have thier favorites. People also have difference of opinion on when to change it too. I do mine between 5 and 6 k . Just stick with the 5w30 full synthetic whatever the brand you go with . Some do 0w30 and seem fine too, but the manual says 5w30 and so I stick with what is recommended by the manufacturer.

· Registered
1,287 Posts
You'll get different replies and I feel that your major brands are all fine. Mobile 1,penzoil,castrol,royal purple. People have thier favorites. People also have difference of opinion on when to change it too. I do mine between 5 and 6 k . Just stick with the 5w30 full synthetic whatever the brand you go with . Some do 0w30 and seem fine too, but the manual says 5w30 and so I stick with what is recommended by the manufacturer.
Well said. Surprisingly enough I take mine to the dealer for the changes cuz they are cheaper than the other shops around. They use Mobil products so I just do conventional 5w-30 as recommended.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
6,803 Posts
Wow a dealer that is cheaper then the local guy ! That doesn't happen for anything from our dealer in the area. I work for a dealer but happen to have a buddy who has a shop. So I buy the oil and filter I want ,take it to him to do. I give him some cash on the side and save some money that way.

· Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Really... another oil thread?? Just saying...geez.

· Registered
6,803 Posts
Lmao. That's why I figured I'd tell op he's gonna get the same as what he's read in his search. Different opinions. And majority rule for me. I go with what most people have said they have had luck with . O.p. mentioned 0w40 and although I haven't read everyones posts on this subject ,I hadn't seen anyone going that route. But any way. Yea another oil change thread lol.

· Registered
6,803 Posts
Oh and what ,not gonna post what your using ? J/k.

· Registered
57 Posts
The dealer does mine as well. They cost the same as the local shops. Mobile1 5w30

· Arrival
235 Posts
Valvoline Syntec 5W-30 and purolator purone filter or mobile one filter.

· Cars are my hobby...
1,980 Posts
I'd use Amsoil if I had a cat, and I use Joe Gibbs because I don't.

· Premium Member
1,869 Posts
I'd use Amsoil if I had a cat, and I use Joe Gibbs because I don't.
Would appreciate hearing your thinking on this. Just bought my first case of Amsoil. Haven't used any yet, but curious about the Joe Gibbs vs. Amsoil.

· Cars are my hobby...
1,980 Posts
Zinc levels, Amsoil has a high amount but not too much to destroy your cats, Joe Gibbs has a really high amount that would damage them. Zinc was lowered by motoroil companies but kept just enough to prevent bad wear. Zinc is the anti wear ingredient. My engine builder (C&D in Kirkland WA) recommends Joe Gibbs for race engines.

Don't get me wrong though, Mobile 1 is a great oil too.

For this engine currently, I used the break in oil then their blended oil by Joe Gibbs. I'm sending in the blend to Blackstone to see how it's doing. I'm now using their full synthetic and will be sending that in as well. I'll post the results once I get them.

· Registered
3,024 Posts
Gibbs ls30.... And I have cats. According to gibbs (I called) the cats get contaminated by the pcv system. If you have a catch can, the extra zink is not a concern.

· Cars are my hobby...
1,980 Posts
Interesting, how does that work?

Seems like it's still going to burn some oil.

· Registered
3,024 Posts
It's that without a catch can, you are burning straight oil sucked into the intake. The claim was on a typical motor, with CC, the little amount past the rings is not a problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.