Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys trying to figure out which starter motor i need. Its a 2009 not a 2009 1/2 . I am a little confused on Rockauto's site. It has 2 different starters. Just wondering which one , i have not removed the starter yet so no sure which connector i have.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
123 Posts
The second one, that's the one I got, no complaints with it on my side, didn't realize how bad the old one was till I cranked it up with the new one.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
123 Posts
On RockAuto look for the words (except breakpoint) for the 2008 and 2009 models.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I will check out the Powermaster xs 9509. My starter has always been a bit weak cranking over since i went higher compression. Still cranks but weak especially went it gets hot and since i have to replace my crankshaft position sensor i might as well change out the original starter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2009 is the second starter in the pic. It would be worth it to upgrade to a Powermaster xs 9509 high torque starter for another $50-$60.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Any issues clearing the headers with the Powermaster?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are some great reviews on Summit that talk about header clearance.
Summit Racing

Reactions: 09g8fan

·
Registered
289 Posts
For what it is worth, while the "break point " is considered to be 300 in the serial, that is not totally accurate .
As in, there are 09.5s below that number.
The positive identifier, is the BSI on your SPID .
BSI 2009.5 No BSI, not a 2009.5
While not on my G8, the smallest most header friendly aftermarket LS starter I found was the MSD.
I used one on my LS7
Every car and header will be different. Some will favor the Denso based starter, some the Hitachi

·
Registered
2 Posts
CVR-9314 Protorque Ultra Starter
This is what I installed on my stock early 09' ($233.99). Paired it with a Walmart AGM 5 year full replacement battery. Cranks like a mofo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts