Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my ultimate goal for the car is to be in the 700rwhp club. It doesn't have to happen all at once because I am sure I'll need a bunch of supporting mods to handle that type of power. However, I'm at a bit of a crossroads with which mod to do next. Should I put in things like a blower cam, fuel system, suspension, ect. first before I put the blower on or does it even matter if I keep the power dialed in to what the platform can currently handle? Obviously, it would be sweet to just throw the blower on and have my kicks now, but I wouldn't want to do that at the expense of replacing expensive parts that I may break.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
I vote cam, and rick's porting work etc that makes these cars so fast!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I agree. Then get used to that power before you add more. If you've never owned a really fast car, jumping straight to 700+hp because you can it stupid IMO. Most likely, you will either blow it up or wrap it around a tree. Anything approaching 500rwhp is a handful on the street, and 400rwhp that you can put down will win you a lot of street races.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds logical to me. This is certainly my first fast car, but I ride sportbikes for when I want to go for real speed. I can appreciate easing into power like this. Just like I would never recommend a litre bike straight out of the gate for a new rider, you only get dead. That being said, since this will be a boosted car, what makes for a proper "boost" cam?

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
I'd do Cam, then fuel system (something like what I have). A blower cam won't net huge amounts (as compared to N/A cams) but it should be a pretty good gain.

You'll also need to think about the blower you are getting, so the cam can match it. You wouldn't want a lot of low end power from your cam with a Maggie, and the opposite with a Procharger.

I got a torque, high sustained RPM cam, that builds low end power... but when I hit 6.2K+ RPMs, the Procharger just starts kicking power in. It seriously feels like it never stops pulling. I am building my car for a road course, and not drag. I wanted to be able to throw it into 3rd gear at 50MPH and pull out of the corner hard... and it does exactly that.

Another thing is, your stall with a cam. Blower cams usually have less of a lope so you might be able to get away with no stall, so keep that in mind when you're picking it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts