Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided I wanted to plastidip my wheels and try something different. They are all cell phone pics so bear with me...

They only had four cans of white and two cans of metalizer, so in order to make sure I had enough coats to easily pull off the dip I put a single coat of black on first. Looked good too...

Then I put two and a half coats of white on each wheel before doing 1 decent coat of metalizer. The metalizer takes that super bright white plastidip and gives it a sparkly sorta pearl bright white finish...

I don't know how I feel about it yet. I just did it for shi-t-s and giggles today so I don't mind pulling off my $40 dollar investment. May leave it on for a couple weeks. I don't drive the car much these days anyway...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Not going to lie, when I read the topic, I thought NO.
After seeing, you pull it off nicely.

·
every village has one
2,378 Posts
Leave them on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It looks pretty damn good honestly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'd pay 40 bucks just to see. **** thats how I ended up doing the grills on mine when I swapped the MM surrounds I PD'd them then painted to see if I liked it.

IMO it needs a bit more contrast maybe the face black and the lip/inside white or vice versa if that makes sense???

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the feed back. I really wanted to see how you guys felt about it as I don't think I have seen mesh style rims like mine in white.

I'd pay 40 bucks just to see. **** thats how I ended up doing the grills on mine when I swapped the MM surrounds I PD'd them then painted to see if I liked it.

IMO it needs a bit more contrast maybe the face black and the lip/inside white or vice versa if that makes sense???
I feel like if my Brembos were painted red that would help. I got silver brembos because the rims were black, and the silver really pops behind the black wheel, but now I think I need red to pull this off better. I understand what you mean about contrast. My car is contrast defined lol

It pops for sure! But damn keeping them clean. I think Dave ran into the issue with them getting dingy and not being able to keep the initial sheen on the, I think he end up getting them powdered.
Oh man plastidiped wheels are super easy to clean compared to non coated rims. All you have to do is spray that foaming tire cleaner on it. Worked like a charm on my stockers when I was using Hawk HPS pads that dusted like a mofo...

·
Registered
362 Posts
I feel like if my Brembos were painted red that would help. I got silver brembos because the rims were black, and the silver really pops behind the black wheel, but now I think I need red to pull this off better. I understand what you mean about contrast. My car is contrast defined lol
The red would look sikk behind

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They look DAMN good! And are you serious that cleaning them will be that easy?
Thanks, and yes I'm serious. I THINK it will be that easy. At least that is what I did with my black plastidipped stockers. I just sprayed them down with foaming tire cleaner and it was all good. It is rubber so it should be super easy to clean.

Besides, dark cars show dirt much more clearly than light colored cars right? Would you believe that my white G8 has been parked outside for a week, and that it rained two days ago on my car, and I have not washed it in that time? It is dirty for sure, but just hides it well. I'm sure the white rims will do the same.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a fan of the white wheels on your white car. The dark wheels on our sig picture just make your car look mean.

Chris
Right on. I agree black is a more sinister look on my car. White is "sportier" I guess. My next color is probably going to be all out silver.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks pretty good.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Never been a fan of white wheels but the car looks pretty sharp in the shade under the trees on the street. And I like the red calipers because of the red in the taillights.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like it, makes the wheel pop. Yellow calipers. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Not bad! I think the metalizer helps to smooth out the finish. On my wheels the finish was more glossy after the metalizer which makes it much easier to clean.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Everyone has black... I like the white just because it looks good and is different. keep them on there man!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have always loved white on white. Looks great.

How about black calipers?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts