Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My darling wife (she really is a good one, 99% of the time) spray painted (white) two old chairs on "her" empty side of the garage while my car was still on "my" side!!! Needless to say, some over-spray ended up on my sport metallic red G8. :surprise: Truth be told, you can't really see it unless it's out in the sun but rubbing your finger on it with medium pressure doesn't remove it and Windex doesn't get it off the side glass. So, I'm in semi-panicky need to know what is the best, paint-safe way to remove this crap???

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I would try the following, always start with the least abusive method and move forward if it doesn't work.
1. Clay
2. Compound
3. Sand (3000+ grit)

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Whaaat? I'm surprised you say sanding, that seems crazy to me.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38070-Perfect--Cleaner-Clay/dp/B000TT4FVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474327646&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+clay

Try this, it is pricey but it's much more heavy duty than the store brand clay bars. It got my overspray off very well or you could always find a professional detailer in your area to do it for you. Obviously follow up with a good compound, then wax. You have some work ahead of you.
Haha, I can see how you thought that I meant start with clay, if that doesn't work then compound, and as a last resort sand. Guess I'm bad at explaining stuff.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Plain old buffer and some compound will take it right off

·
Registered
735 Posts
Orbital and some polish is where I'd start. Hexpad from chemical guys and Porter Cable. You could have a good detailer look at it I'm thinking might just come off in the process. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Clay bar first.
Find someone with a DA polisher. Orbital can mess up the paint if you don't have the experience. You might even be able to get it by hand.
Got any pics of the damage?

There's probably some folks on the Adam's Polishes forum in your area that can help you out.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sounds like something my mate for life would do....another good one is wanting to throw a skid of patio stones in the trunk....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Always remember water is you best friend and lots of it. If there's good wax on your car clay bar/water should get if not wet sanding w/3000 will definitely get it repet light wet sanding very light pressure then buff and wax it will look better then ever

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Clay barred mine this weekend using Mothers kit. Just use liberal amounts of spray detailer when rubbing the overspray out. I get powder coat on mine often, comes right off.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clay bar.

If that doesn't work, take it to a professional. It doesn't sound like you're too experienced with this
Not sure why you'd make that assumption. Admittedly, I'm no detailing expert but I do take very good care of my car in every respect. I just never faced a situation like this (of my wife's making) and was asking for advice before I start in on it. Most of the tips received (thanks, everyone) are pretty much what I'd have done but wanted some confirmation.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Not sure why you'd make that assumption. Admittedly, I'm no detailing expert but I do take very good care of my car in every respect. I just never faced a situation like this (of my wife's making) and was asking for advice before I start in on it. Most of the tips received (thanks, everyone) are pretty much what I'd have done but wanted some confirmation.
Unless you've put some time down with a rotary or orbital polisher, I wouldn't try paint correcting overspray. ESPECIALLY if it's serious enough that the clay bar wasn't enough to take care of it.

If you got the proper tools and experience then by all means... have at it.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Lacquer thinner first. If there is any wax on the car the thinners will remove it and the over spray. Clay bar for anything remaining. Re-Wax

·
New adventure in G8's!
231 Posts
Clay bar with lots of lube.
I detail cars and this is what I use on my FLEX DA polisher.
This stuff is awesome and I threw my old clay bars away!!
Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Foam Pad

Ryan

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I clay-barred the car, putting a fair amount of time and effort into it, then re-waxing it. The over-spray came off fairly easily. I did all this in the garage under so-so lighting and I thought it looked great. The next day when it was out in the sunlight, however, at certain angles all the horizontal areas (trunk lid, roof, hood) look kind of streaky. Apparently, my clay-bar application method was somewhat uneven or something. I guess in time I'll have to do it all over but not right away, as from any distance it looks good and now it has a good layer of wax on it heading into late fall, early winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts