Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw one of the two new Holden / Chevy PPV Police cars today. In town to compare to the new Dodge Charger. What will the local Eugene Police Department decide to buy?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
We do. Contra Costa County. This is a brand new one, window sticker and all. I did some work on the county building where they service all the cars and it was parked in the lot. I wish i had taken a pic of the window sticker. The mechanics would take it out once and a while and rip through the parking lot. I would always stop working and watch. This was late last year.
Get this.
I sent the pic to my buddy who is a deputy and asked if he had a chance to drive one. He said he liked the crown vic better because it had more room inside! How could you not like the chevy with the extra 100hp over the vic. Unbelievable. He's not much of a car guy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get this.
I sent the pic to my buddy who is a deputy and asked if he had a chance to drive one. He said he liked the crown vic better because it had more room inside! How could you not like the chevy with the extra 100hp over the vic. Unbelievable. He's not much of a car guy.

When Caprices started to disappear every cop I asked said they'd still take one over a new Crown Vic. I'd assume most would take the new PPV. I hope they come with a new TCM tune than ours did stock. Hmm I could make a living tuning cop cars...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wish we had went with them. Our department opted for the new Interceptors. I believe we have around 15 cars and 6 SUVs on order. We did order up every last Crown Vic we could get our hands on prior to switching.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the PPV will catch up as the new Crown Vic supply dries up fairly quick.

However I can see a lot of depts going with 2012 chargers, they look mean in cop car forum. Reminds me of the Dukes of Hazzard era. lol

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Winter Springs, FL (suburb of Orlando) has a couple.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.....

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I've read and heard quite a few comments from agencies testing the PPV saying it is smaller than the Crown Vic. I'm wondering how much of this is perception due to a more compact overall package, and how much is actual reduction in dimensional space. Anybody out there have access to "official" dimensions on the CV and PPV?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Green Mountain Boys

Courtesy of their facebook page

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Just did a bit of homework. As you may have seen on another forum I scanned the brochure of the Caprice for my Facebook page ( http://facebook.com/wmcaprice )

Here are some interesting dimensions:

Overall length: 212 CV[1], 204.2 PPV[2]
Wheelbase: 114.6, 118.5
Front/Rear leg room: 41.6/38.0, 42.2/43.2

To summarise, as much as I love my Crown Vic, more spacious? I don't think so. Though the surface area of the Ford's bonnet and bootlid are massive in comparison, the Caprice's interior is in another realm.

1: http://www.thecarconnection.com/specifications/ford_crown-victoria_2007_4dr-sdn-lx_dimensions
2: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.226978474075594.41792.119732498133526&type=3

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Love this thread, keep the pictures coming!

I have read some reports that some juristictions cannot even have the option to purchase the new PPV due to "must be made and assembled in the USA" clause in their rules and regulations.

This is why in a few years GM is hoping to be able to produce the zeta-2 chassis here in the US to make the PPV and whatever else, without being hostage to currency exchange rates or import taxes and such.

Love the pics!

·
It's good to be back
78 Posts
Broward Sheriff's Office (Broward County, Florida) has a few, some unmarked.

·
9C3 road warrior
120 Posts
Heyas...

I ended up purchasing a 2011 Caprice 9C3 version with 9K miles from a dealer outside Atlanta, Georgia last weekend, going to pick up the car Thursday with a fly-n-drive. No pics of it yet but I"ll have some soon. So, at least there's one individual owner on here now.... Have to sort out what mods will and will not work soon!

Thanks
Eric

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Sounds great Eric, I understand 95_9C1 in CA has a white 9C1 too. It's a bit of an exclusive club, as well as one of the toughest new passenger cars on the market (or not on the market :p)

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
Heyas...

I ended up purchasing a 2011 Caprice 9C3 version with 9K miles from a dealer outside Atlanta, Georgia last weekend, going to pick up the car Thursday with a fly-n-drive. No pics of it yet but I"ll have some soon. So, at least there's one individual owner on here now.... Have to sort out what mods will and will not work soon!

Thanks
Eric
Awesome Im sure a lot of us are anxious to see how the modding goes with your car. Keep us posted

·
Registered
97 Posts
We have them here in Garden Ridge, Tx (Northeastern suburb of San Antonio)

Sorry about the shot was trying to get it before it pulled off. Looks awesome tho! Is it bad that i want to get pulled over by one just to get a shot with it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Loveland Colorado has them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts