Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so close to pulling the trigger on a solo mach exhaust. Before I do tho, I wanted to hear insight from those who have it already or what peoples opinions were on the solo product line up. I wasn't looking for something extremely loud out the gate but I can make it louder with hiflow cats and headers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just installed the Solo Mach unbalanced a few weeks ago. I think the sound is about perfect and I have received several compliments. I do have Kooks mids however.

If I did not have the headers I would have probably gone with the shorty system. I had the solo ab and x pipe previously and it sounded good with the stock manifolds.

Excellent products all around, it would be hard to make a bad choice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the mach-balanced and love it. I have two small children so i did not want anything to over the top, on normal driving there is minimal cabin noise but a very smooth note on the exterior. At WOT there is noticable cabin noise and screams on the exterior. Something to consider is all the youtube clips do not due the system justice. Also, do not expect performance gains w/o highflow cats or headers.

Install could have not been easier with the exception of lining up the tips (be patient) and finding a place to store the factory exhaust. I installed the entire system by myself on jackstands on all four corners.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also had the mach unbalanced cat-back and it sounded great. I had an x-pipe as well

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
funny, I'm at the same point as the OP. Almost ready to pull the trigger on a new Solo Mach kit (unbalanced) and probably ordering it within the next week (soon as that paycheck comes). Still waiting first to see if this local guy will sell me his Mach Shorty balanced for a better price but dang, the Solo mach brand-new price is really quite reasonable compared to any other catbacks out there and it sounds friggin' amazing.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
mach shorty balanced here. sound is incredible and SOLO has a great group of guys who are very knowledgable and awesome customer service.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the input, keep it coming lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the mach balanced kit with Kook's LT Headers and Solo's High Flow Cats. The cabin noise is minimal at cruising speed. Here is a video of my car. After the exhaust warms up and the rpm drop it is considerably quieter. I also did the install in my garage on jack stands. The hardest part for me was connecting the catted mid section to my Kook's LT.

" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
">
" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I have this exact kit on my car (standard mach catback kit) and have been very pleased with it in terms of good V8 sound but not offensive. Sounds sooo sweet on moderate throttle accelerations, and screams on WOT, but just a nice V8 sound the rest of the time. If you have or plan to still run AFM on, it does have a very noticeable 4 to 8 switch, and running in 4 cyl. mode at interstate speeds is kind of annoying sometimes, but I haven't tuned out AFM yet (waiting on a couple of things) so I just give the pedal a little blip if it gets on my nerves before it decides to switch back to 8 cyl. mode on its own. I think the computer limits the amount of time it will run in 4 cyl. mode depending on a lot of variables.

It's probably the best value for the $ you can get for a G8 catback system. $500 cheaper than I could have gotten Corsa for.

·
Registered
822 Posts
its a good compromise exhaust. You can have a conversation wtih your passenger at RPMS under 2000. Over 2500 it starts to sing.. so its ok. I went with solo because i thought i was going to keep DOD forever - but now with a cam in vision I am going to switch to Borla.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Solo FTMFW!!!! (even though i don’t have one yet ;-)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again. The sound of the cars above are so mean!! I have been looking at you tube videos for a good year now haha so i think I'm ready lol

·
GOT VTAK?
689 Posts

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
Zepcom and I probably have the most experience with all the different Solo exhaust setups. I've personally had almost all iterations on my car. I also tried a Corsa with Kooks catted connection pipes. I had the Corsa on less than 2 months before re-installing my Solo. Keep in mind what your modification path is going to be and purchase accordingly. While the Mach Shorty's sound great by themselves, you may find them too loud after headers or some other work. I can say without reservation that the Solo exhaust does a much better job of keeping things quiet inside the cabin in comparison to the Corsa.

If you are planning on getting Long Tubes, just bite the bullet and get the LT's now along with the Solo catted exhaust. If your trying to decide between the Solo Cats or the Kooks mids, go with the Kooks mids. They produce more hp/tq in comparison for the cats at a lower price. (if you call Maryland Speed for the headers)

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
its a good compromise exhaust. You can have a conversation wtih your passenger at RPMS under 2000. Over 2500 it starts to sing.. so its ok. I went with solo because i thought i was going to keep DOD forever - but now with a cam in vision I am going to switch to Borla.

Good luck.
Your signature is awesome.... just laughed my ass off.

Sorry, off topic.... carry on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zepcom and I probably have the most experience with all the different Solo exhaust setups. I've personally had almost all iterations on my car. I also tried a Corsa with Kooks catted connection pipes. I had the Corsa on less than 2 months before re-installing my Solo. Keep in mind what your modification path is going to be and purchase accordingly. While the Mach Shorty's sound great by themselves, you may find them too loud after headers or some other work. I can say without reservation that the Solo exhaust does a much better job of keeping things quiet inside the cabin in comparison to the Corsa.

If you are planning on getting Long Tubes, just bite the bullet and get the LT's now along with the Solo catted exhaust. If your trying to decide between the Solo Cats or the Kooks mids, go with the Kooks mids. They produce more hp/tq in comparison for the cats at a lower price. (if you call Maryland Speed for the headers)
Yes! That's why I want to go with the Mach because it is not the loudest out the box but can get louder with mods!

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
A lot of people, myself included spent way too much time trying to decide which Solo to get. After having all but the Mach Shorty Unbalanced on my car and hearing it in person I can confirm the volume differences between them isn't much. The Shortys are a little louder and a little deeper. Balances bs unbalanced isn't much either. I have the balanced currently and I have the Solo resonators, but I will eventually cut out the balance pipe again. Not a huge difference, but the unbalanced gives a slight cam lope exhaust note. Couple that with a cam and it's music to my ears :) I have some exhaust comparisons on YouTube so you can here different setups. As I always caution people, it always sounds different in person. I've heard every major exhaust out there as well as many custom jobs. Solo's exhaust note coupled with its in car quietness are the winning combination.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 101 Posts