Pontiac G8 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just installed the Solo mach shorty with high flow cats and Kooks LT's. I agree with everyone else here, it sounds amazing. My only gripe is the sound it makes at gear change. It's hard to explain but instead of being a pause in the note during the gear change, there is this rollover sound that I can't say I've ever heard from a car before and doesn't sound right; almost annoying. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have any input to whether this is normal or not?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
well, from what it seems you are describing, without hearing it myself (please clarify if I'm wrong) .... this may be related to the 11" shorty muffler , verses having the mach, the 14" muffler. ,

I have a similar set up as you, kooks lt's, solo hfc, but from there, I have the 14" muffler (solo mach unbalanced system) and my car doesn't have that anomoly.

Are you tuned? With headers obviously so, however, you might want to ask your tuner about the dfco settings ... if he adjusts your 'decelleration fuel shut off' setting within the ecm tune, that may effect the burble, pops and other 'decelleration' types of sounds, which maybe could be related to what you are experiencing.

... for what its worth, hope this helps man!

·
Ready for take off!!
489 Posts
I'm running:
Mach shorty
SLP headers w/gutted cats!
Livernois cam

It's pretty loud at idle and at wot but I love it! I'm sure my neighbors don't care for it at 7am!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just ordered 3" Shorty Mach system

On Friday I just ordered the new 3" Shorty Mach system, I can't wait to put it on my Supercharged G8. I'm post some before/after vids with sound. Right now I have long tube headers, high flow cats but with the stock system to the back so it'll be interesting to see how significant the change will be.

·
more speed please!
100 Posts
I have the Mach shorty setup and I wouldn't have it any other way. If I could get that sound on every car I own I would love it. Like most have said, just out for a cruise its very quiet but step on the gas and giddy up she comes to life! SOLO rocks!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just ordered the 3" inch catback exhaust as well. Also ordered some long tube kooks. Hate the impatient waiting for everything to come in.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd love to hear some 3" catback only systems. I'm lucky if I can make that system alone fit my budget. Can I expect much difference as mine is a GXP?

·
Registered
185 Posts
mine, with kooks mids. mach balanced.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are there cats on the exhaust in the video?

Also like the motocross video. Raced a few years back in the day out in SOCAL. I have the scars, knee and back problems along with the fond memories.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, my car is off to the muffler shop for some "modding" of the Mach exhaust. After I pulled it apart I found a little issue so for me it's not a complete bolt on. It seems my headers have the cats mounted into the crossover and use a slip fit instead of a flange. No worries, exhaust shop should have me ready to go tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
3" installed

Well I got the car back from the muffler shop yesterday and it's definitely a different experience. The shop had to take my cats of the old exhaust X pipe section and mate them to the Solo 3" shorty mach system but anyway, here's what it sounds like pulling out onto the street. The nice thing is it's all 3" from the collectors all the way back now, before it had a 2 1/5 inch step down to the stock mufflers out back which are now retired.

Sorry for the video quality, my friend was shooting this with his iphone but the sound is the most important thing, right?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kd5q0rh1cnkvv4/G8DrivingOff.mp4

I definitely think this exhaust is better than anything I've heard outside of a set of straight pipes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just installed my Mach exhaust kit from Solo. Love it the low bass grumble shakes the garage lol. The shop that installed it couldn't believe that the J pipes make such a difference. Great work SOLO!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
solo questions

so i just installed the mach cat back and i rotated the j pipes up to access the clamps to tighten (yes i realize i should of done this prior) and mine is almost unbearable when going up a hill with an incline and when cruising town if i let off the gas and lightly push it there is a gong sound almost like the exhaust has to catch up, my question is if i rotate the j pipes back down will this fix this and how do you go about tuning the j pipes as the instruction manual says something about this, i love the low speed sound and the loudness when you get on it, just need to refine it for cruising, any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure on the gong sound but you have to remember you're hearing everything now and depending on tune etc. you may hear anything from gurgles to small backfires. You may also be leaning the engine out more than your tune/O2 sensors can compensate for, so a trip to a dyno won't hurt. With mine I have the J Tubes adjusted for a nice ride at 80mph w/o drone and around town I get a nice throaty rumble. Just take a wrench out with you and pull over periodically, adjusting both sides so they're the same distance apart away from the bend. Do this until you get the most agreeable interior sound you can for your hearing and resonance preference. Adjusting the J Tubes won't affect performance but it will affect overall sound both inside and out. Other than that you can get some dynomat if interior noise is more uncomfortable than you'd like. I've had mine now for over 4 years and love them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i like them now but i need to "clean" up the sound so that i will love them lol thanks for the reply so what i am hearing you say is to pull the j out to adjust the sound? and does it take much as far as movement of the pipe to change it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, adjust the J Tubes out/in but use the U bend as a reference point, think of a trombone slide. You may like them closer in, vs. further back but make sure you get them the as close as you can on both sides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome thanks i will work on this for the next few days and see how it goes!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just had my shorty cat back Solo delivered. Will have them installed on Thursday. Can't wait. Although I have had the Solo Axle Backs for a few years and have DMH E-cutouts which obviously bypasses all. Will have to have the DMH removed (for now) and sell my current Axle backs.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts