Pontiac G8 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Most important thing with a Solo exhaust is getting the J tubes right. No magic number. Every car is different. Pick your most common cruising speed. Listen to the exhaust. Now raise and lower the car speed to find the exhaust sweet spot. if it’s higher than your speed. You need to lengthen the J tube. Lower than your preferred speed. You shorten the pipe. And make sure you make them equal. I hated mine when one was a 3/8 longer than the other. Made a dis-chord sound. Equal was back to sweet. Even with my Mach balanced. It roars at WOT. Just a little more civilized on start up

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
400 Posts
Looks like I'll be joining the Solo Club shortly. Had one of the bolts on the drivers side muffler flange rust through and break. I was going to try and fix it, but the flange is looking crusty enough that I don't want to bother.

Now to pull the trigger...

·
400 Posts
"Congrats"

Same busted bolts were the reason for my upgrading as well. Damn the rust-belt and northeast roads...

-J

Luckily the rest of the car is in fine shape, the apparent condition of the rear cradle notwithstanding. I've had a lot of stuff apart, including the front and rear suspension last spring for new struts and springs, and a CTS-V Brembo front brake upgrade, and everything has come apart nicely so far.

After approval from the Minister of Finance, I just put in the order. Now I have to hope that it arrives while we have this relative warm spell and no snow continue...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice. Yea we've been lucky up here so far, knock on wood.

Minister of Finance, I like that I'm going to use that next time I tell my wife I'm ordering something.

-J

·
400 Posts
Nice. Yea we've been lucky up here so far, knock on wood.

Minister of Finance, I like that I'm going to use that next time I tell my wife I'm ordering something.

-J

Serendipity. The bolt broke while we were away for a weekend. Spending an hour and a half riding with a drone that wasn't there when we were heading to the weekend. Plus I'm happy enough with this car that I'm not bring home other strays. That always helps.

·
400 Posts
In the words of Clint Eastwood, "A man has to know his limitations."

I got as far as removing the back mufflers and the body brace before discovering that at some point in the car's past - most likely when the engine was replaced under warranty - the studs and nuts holding the cats and the front pipes together were replaced with lesser quality hardware, with smaller bolts booger welded to the cats. Despite having the cats out not too long ago, the connections are a mess.

Rather than break things and being left stranded, I'm going to order up some better hardware before tackling the rest of the job. It is too bad, because if I could have gotten those bolts out the job looks about as simple as such a thing can be.

Oh well. Off to McMaster-Carr...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry to thread hijack... I can sympathize on the horrific condition nuts and bolts securing my midsection to the stock cats. Yea might as well play it safe and have spare hardware.

Lucky for me, the dealer replaced the stock nuts with brand new ones since they had to drop the exhaust for recall work. As I was threading them out though, I felt like Indiana Jones in that scene with the statue head and bag of sand... Lots of tension waiting for disaster at any moment.

Good news is you have a McMaster storefront nearby!

-J

·
400 Posts
Sorry to thread hijack... I can sympathize on the horrific condition nuts and bolts securing my midsection to the stock cats. Yea might as well play it safe and have spare hardware.

Lucky for me, the dealer replaced the stock nuts with brand new ones since they had to drop the exhaust for recall work. As I was threading them out though, I felt like Indiana Jones in that scene with the statue head and bag of sand... Lots of tension waiting for disaster at any moment.

Good news is you have a McMaster storefront nearby!

-J

No storefront near by, so I'll have to settle for delivery tomorrow. Whatever I do is going to be a temporary fix, as I plan to upgrade to high-flow cats before too long. Probably after some of the other things on my to-do list. This got moved up on the project list because of the broken bolt. Oh well, I'll drive around without back boxes for a few days. I doesn't sound radically louder without them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have it, and it is a good system. It does make my ears bleed, let alone i have my car gutted and it dumps right under the diver seat

·
400 Posts
The planets are aligning for a Wednesday installation. While I've got the car up in the air I'm going to do the winter wheel/tire swap, as it appears that there is finally some substantive snow in the forecast here.

Now it is a simple matter of timing the Brembo rear brake upgrade to swapping the summer wheels and tires back on in the Spring.

·
400 Posts
Wednesday turned into Tuesday, and I finished the swap. I need to line up the tips a little better before I share any pics, so here is a teaser.

·
400 Posts
And after some further tweaking on the alignment.

I spaced down the passenger side per the instructions from SOLO, so it is a bit better. The driver side needs to actually go up a bit, and I wonder if the solution is to replace the 10-year-old, 120k rubber mount on that side.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Probably a really stupid question but how do you align the tips? My right side is a bit lower than the left and they need to be adjusted.

·
400 Posts
Probably a really stupid question but how do you align the tips? My right side is a bit lower than the left and they need to be adjusted.

The first thing I did was loosen up the band clamps between front and mid pipes, and the mids and the rear pipes. Then I made sure the mids were hanging symmetrically from their rear hangers and the tips were close - but level - before tightening the band clamps. One of my tips was closer to the bumper than I'd like, so following the SOLO instructions I shimmed the hanger on that side to gain some space. The other tip is slightly lower than I want, and the easiest way I can think of to get that side a little bit higher is to replace the hanger.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts