Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that self tune...

MAF only or SD only or both (stock)?

I've been running with VE enabled mostly since I figured I'd try not to out engineer GM and was mostly stock (CAI, Catback). But now that I've added headers I wonder if:

1. Should I bother to tune VE (which I think is a bit of pain on our cars)
2. Go with MAF only and tune it that way (its pretty good right now LTFT are pretty narrow and hover around 0 to -2%).

Thoughts?

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
1.) if you're comfortable doing VE using the VE calc, i don't see why not. I've done it before because sometimes i'm bored, and i've taken the time to tune out VE (Before headers). I haven't touched VE since i did headers, but it's mostly because my laptop is old, and doesn't have enough CPU to do the math. Should you bother ? I'd say no, but it's fun to be able to do it and understand how VE works. In theory, some mpg can be had having VE spot on, plus it helps in big cam applications, 240/242, 242/244 cams etc, this cams wouldn't be L76 friendly anyways, you would see VE enabled in LS2 applications for example with cams like that.

2.) Easiest way, and it works without any issues.

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am going to disable dynamic airflow today and see how it goes. If I get bored I will tune the VE, but comparing MAF airflow and dyn airflow on the scans they aren't much different.

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dynamic Airflow been disabled for a couple of weeks. No issues. Maybe its just me I but I think it shifts better especially on downshifts.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Yeah nothing would happen with VE disabled. I've been running without VE since 2009 :) Throttle response should improve because the VE and MAF are not fighting each other, if you tune VE separately and then combine it with the MAF again, then your throttle response might be even better, but with your mods, MAF only works without zero issues.

Have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.