Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
AKA "The General"
563 Posts
Thats hideous.:drink: I owned a ws6 before this and the interior looks the same. Sheesh, thats the thing I hated about that car. Glad they left this up to aussie land. :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
I never saw that either. But that's just a modded GP. Nice color though, wish my GP was that color. And it's two different cars. The hood scoops are different. One may have been the GP GXP that was never built.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Thanks god for the guys from Oz!
It reminds me of the GTO concept from the late 80s.
Take a run of the mill Grand Am. Drop in a supercharged Quad4. Stick on some functional hood scoops and big tires, and call it a Ram Air GTO. Uh, let's not.
If you think the GTO-istas had a fit over the 04 GTO, can you imagine the outcry that would have been heard over a 4cyl, front wheel drive GTO? OMG!
Though, now that I think about it, if Pontiac would have done that, just think of how accepted the 04 GTO would have been. I mean, think about it. For years, the GTO purists would have been seething over this 4 cyl abomination. Then, Pontiac brings out a proper rear wheel drive, V8 powered GTO. OMG, history would have been re-written!

mac

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have some pictures of it laying around somewhere too. It was at one of the Grand Prix Gatherings (GPG) I was at in Kansas City. At the time it's exactly what everyone wanted....a rear drive, V8 Grand Prix. What actually showed up as a G8 is much better though.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
What's that orange car peaking out from behind it in img13?? Looks a little more interesting.
That is a Grand Am. Not sure what the date of these pics are, but it kind of looks like the Grand Am based GTO that I mentioned earlier.

mac

·
The King of 5:08!
251 Posts
Dear god... i think i'm gonna be sick!

·
G8 GT GUY
745 Posts
Man! I'm glad they ditched that! Very cheap, childish, and even some rice with that hood on pic 12 - 13.

I wouldn't have bought it.

·
Be EzE
745 Posts
I do!! But that was more of a design study. This is what it was based off of

Pontiac's 300 GPX (Prototype)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/112_9503_pontiac_300_gpx_exclusive_road_test/index.html

While the rest of the car is intriguing, it's the engine that's truly inspiring. The 90-degree, pushrod, two-valve-per-cylinder, 3.8-liter V-6 is equipped with a Roots-type twin-lobe Eaton Model 90 supercharger capable of forcing 550 cubic feet of air per minute into the engine, and producing a maximum boost pressure of 8 psi. Reclaiming Pontiac's historic Ram Air induction system, the 300 GPX's twin hood inlets duct outside air to the supercharger's air-to-water intercooler. The result is 300 horsepower at 5500 rpm-75 more than the supercharged Series I 3800 currently available in the Bonneville SSEi and 95 beyond the output of the normally aspirated Series II standard in base Bonnies.

It's not the horsepower figure, however, that tells the supercharged tale of the GPX's engine; it's the amazing torque production. Using the Eaton supercharger's instant boost characteristics to brilliant effect, the GPX bursts with 335 pound-feet of torque at only 3500 rpm (compared with the normally aspirated engine's torque peak of 230 pound-feet at 4000 rpm). That's 10 pound-feet more peak torque than the 5.7-liter LT1 V-8 in the '95 Trans Am. Recalling MT's test of the original '64 GTO, that car's 389-cubic-inch (6.4-liter) four-barrel V-8 spat out a rated 428 pound-feet of torque at only 3200 rpm. But if you keep in mind the wild optimism of that era's often-spurious "gross" engine rating methods, the GPX's net-rated torque production looks just about even with that of the old classic musclecar. Quite an accomplishment for an engine with two fewer cylinders and 2.7 liters less displacement. The supercharged Series II 3800 with an output of 250-horsepower will go into production for the '96 model year . If and when the GPX hits the assembly lines the year after that, power is expected to be closer to the 250 than the concept car's 300.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What's that orange car peaking out from behind it in img13?? Looks a little more interesting.
Looks like a Ram Air Grand Am. From the looks of the pics, they are from around 2000-2002, probably closer to 2000 since one of the other pics has a Trans Am in it and those went away after the 2002 model year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The one without the fugly snorkel hood doesn't look that bad. The interior is just the normal 97-03 Grand Prix interior with a different steering wheel. At the time everyone (on the GP boards) thought it was cool. I believe it was a V8 but with the all wheel drive components from an Aztec. Apparently it kept blowing up the rear end.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I never liked that battleship grey interior color. Talk about bland! :barf:

mac

1 - 20 of 47 Posts