Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Who skipped buying the G8 sedan in favor of holding out for the G8 ST?

3K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  Gwizzy 
#1 ·
If you don't yet own a G8 because you held out for the G8 ST, are you planning on getting a G8 GT now that the ST is canceled?

Is there anyone even out there who has been holding out??

#3 ·
No, the normal G8 doesn't suit my needs. I was pretty close, but after really thinking it over and getting opinions from my parents they helped me realize I need more utilty than a car offers. If it had fold down rear seats maybe, but overall a truckbed or wagon is what I really need. I'll probably end up with a Magnum or some sort of other wagon, possibly a pickup - but that's less likely. Maybe a crossover.

#46 ·
That's kind of the boat I was in... I was pretty bummed out when I found out the rear seats don't fold down at the Detroit Auto Show.... My first thought was of a Magnum... but I wanted NEW now used.. and they stopped making the Magnum... so I went back to the G8, bit the bullet and just figured I'd have to keep the wife in her Caliber, then maybe a SUV or something.... I guess I'll have to leave my dog at home when I go up north... I'd hate to ruin my leather! lol

#4 ·
I, for one, was looking to create a complete G8 household. The ST would have suited my needs perfectly. I have determined that most of the time (except when I hit black ice in Dec and after $8400 repairs to my truck) that smaller 2wd pickup is all I need as opposed to a humungous gas guzzling beast of a 4wd. The ST would have not only given me just as much hauling capacity as my Colorado but also teh performance and handling that it lacks. I would certainly consider a wagon version in lieu of, but that one was stillborn and not even close. They could (as they seem to have planned) reduce Pontiac to a one label company - but why oh why cannot that one label, G8, consist of 5 equally sellable models (4 dr, 2 dr coupe, convertible, wagon, ute) And throw in the AWD option available in CTS/STS and it would be like WalMart on Black Friday.

#9 ·
Some how, I don't think suing GM for millions of dollars for "pain and suffering", is gonna help the situation!:err: And I still think we will see the ST in Chevy showrooms as an El Camino! GM has no reason not to bring it into the USA, other than it picked the wrong division to sell it thru, Pontiac instead of Chevy! I think the naming contest made that very clear to them when the overwhelming number entries submitted was for the El Camino name!:wink2:

#10 ·
I have been driving my Dodge 1500 Quad Cab for the past 4 years waiting for the Commodore to come over here. Then the news of the Ute had me itching. Now, seemingly, the Ute is gone. As too is my salary increase, so no ST or GT for me in the forseable future.
I love getting on this forum though and dreaming. For those of you that have them......enjoy them!!

At least fuel is a lot cheaper these days making my 15 miles per gallon highway seem a little more pallatable.

#12 ·
Don't forget to factor in maintainence costs after the warranty runs out on that 135.

As for getting a GT or GXP to fill in where the ST would have been, the answer is no. The ST fits my needs for a vehicle. It's looking like a used truck for my next purchase. GM had their opportunity & flushed it right down the toilet.

#16 ·
I'm a fan of Lightnings, and the first 3 out of your 4 statements are true. I'm not sure I'd call them old-tech. Ford could have blown people's minds if they would have slapped the 4V heads & DOHCs on the Lightnings. Then, people could have been driving 450+ hp trucks instead of 360-380 hp from he factory. Although, the 4 speed auto is pretty low-tech. One of my other problems was the size. Both the SRT10 Rams & the Lightnings are big trucks. They won't defy the laws of physics so easily. The ST would have been great. Lower center of gravity, equal horsepower to a Lightning, & a better factory suspension to modify to my liking. Damn I hate GM right now.

#22 ·
I'm still out looking for my next vehicle. A Magnum SRT might be in the cards, or possibly a 300SRT or SRT/D (they actually have fold down rear seats so I can fold them down for the dog to lay on, plus they come with all those "extra crap things" like nav, bt, memory seats, etc.) I have also given a lot of thought to just waiting, saving, and getting an S4 Avant or something like that. Maybe a Turbo X Sportcombi, but probably not.

#25 ·
I consider myself a patient man, but others don't. I'm also not going to cling to a false hope that they'll reverse their decision a few months after, then wait the year or 2 it takes to get them over here. If they decided to switch course with them again, it probably wouldn't make it over here until the next-gen G8 did. Which also, may just be never.

SRT/D is my way of saying SRT Design. Sorta like the Daytona package for the Charger. You get 350hp out of the 5.7L(which still has AFM and the unlimited mileage powertrain warranty then), all the SRT visuals (except SRT8 being anywhere on the vehicle), a suspension that is upgraded, but might not be the SRT8 suspension, all that jazz. It's basically an SRT8 with the 5.7L and a MUCH better warranty, and theoretically better gas mileage.

I'm still undecided, so there's a chance that I'd wait for a G8 SW.

#26 ·
SRT/D is my way of saying SRT Design. Sorta like the Daytona package for the Charger. You get 350hp out of the 5.7L(which still has AFM and the unlimited mileage powertrain warranty then), all the SRT visuals (except SRT8 being anywhere on the vehicle), a suspension that is upgraded, but might not be the SRT8 suspension, all that jazz. It's basically an SRT8 with the 5.7L and a MUCH better warranty, and theoretically better gas mileage.
Ah, I didn't know that type of marketing actually had a name. Also, if you buy used, the lifetime warranty won't apply to you. Only the first person to title the car.

#27 ·
Really? That sucks. There goes my reason to not get the SRT8. Just gotta get it from a dealer that offers the lifetime warranty on used cars. The dealer that I got my car (a sister store of the one that has the black SRT8 magnum) offers lifetime warranties on the cars they sell, maybe I can get them to have it transferred from the bigger store that doesn't.

#28 · (Edited)
Well, if they can offer that, it will be through your dealer or a third party. Chrysler themselves won't offer it. That's part of the fine print that's at the bottom of the commercials. I tried to find the fine print on their website, but they want you to find out from your dealer. Just remember, don't let them talk you into an expensive new SRT just for a warranty.

On second thought, the employee pricing plus plus deal looks pretty good. I might have to consider getting a Ram after all.

Edit: MAB, I found one of their magazine ads. The lifetime warranty is non-transferable. Also, it's not available on SRT models. It seems that Chrysler has no love for you either. But, at least they didn't dangle a car out in front of you & then tell you that it will not be for sale here.

#36 ·
Good point. And it'll still be slower. But I could get a Magnum SRT to hold me off until I get the CTS-V Wagon used :p

But I mean, the addition of things like navigation and all the other luxury goods has to count for something. I think you'll see a decent amount of people buying the CTS Wagon (especially since they totally screwed the pooch with the new SRX)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.