Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member who's been lurking for about a month now. I'm going to be in the market for a new car soon, and I sort of have my heart set on a G8. I'm the type of buyer Pontiac had in mind for these cars - I've never owned an American car, but this is one that will bring me back. I love the looks, performance, and value. As for my question...

I'm kind of concerned about how many I see for sale! Why all the deals?? It seems like a lot of people, even enthusiasts are this forum, are eager to unload these cars. And a lot of the cars have really low mileage, indicating that they didn't own them long or drive them much. This has me a little worried - what do they know that I don't know?? Seems like people are lowering prices, and even entertaining the thought of selling it directly to a dealer at a reduced price. Why is this? I know the gas mileage isn't great with these, and I'm OK with that. Is there anything else that makes these cars really hard to live with?

Seriously - I'd love to hear G8 owner's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
My G8 has gone up in value in the 3 months Ive owned it. I dont expect that to happen for the whole time I own the car but Im confident there will always be people who want them.

The reason many people unload them is that they either get a truck or get an even faster car. Very few people get rid of them for problems Ive been finding out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My G8 has gone up in value in the 3 months Ive owned it. I dont expect that to happen for the whole time I own the car but Im confident there will always be people who want them.

The reason many people unload them is that they either get a truck or get an even faster car. Very few people get rid of them for problems Ive been finding out.
I second this. The only reason I would get rid of my G8 is to get something with AWD/4WD or something faster. Or people may get rid of it because they lost their jobs or need something bigger for their family.

·
Last of the Breeds
84 Posts
I've seen a few people sell them lately too I think because the value has gone up. People are getting a lot of money for their used g8. I don't hear of any major problems with these cars. Could be too, its winter time so if you have the sport package with 19's and summer tires it handles like crap on snow.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think people just get bored with cars and always want something new. I used to be one of these people n had to have a new car every 1-2 years. For some reason I can't let this car go I love it. I had it for a little over 2 years now and plan on keeping it much longer. If something happened to my current car I would probably buy another g8 but it would have to be a gxp.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
I dont know about everyone else but I for one will keep this one for awhile. No plans on getting rid of it anytime soon. Of course, things can change and cant ever say never!

·
Registered
76 Posts
^^ i second that. Im a very picky person when it comes to what i drive. And to be honest there is really nothing else out right now that I would prefer over this one... especially in the same price range!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just bought my gxp got rid of a 02 vette, if you can afford a 100k car there are better ones but if you can get a gxp for 30k its a beast.

I really wish I had 40k for icemans:judge:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was just searching online for used G8 GTs and found that most low mileage G8s were going for around 28,000...I've seen some way low, some way too high. But overall it seems the GTs are holding their value...and this is after a pretty good search (I was bored)

I love the fact that we financed $21,500 for our G8 GT, the rest was dealer incentives and a down payment from my wife's 2006 G6 GTP coupe (still a nice looking car, they messed it up after that year, with that stupid wing and big nose)

We owe less than $17k on it, and could probably turn around and sell it for 10k more given the right buyer and mods to it....I am not boasting. I am very blessed I came upon the G8 in summer 2009 when it was the "fire sale" and plus my dad is GM retired...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I really wish I had 40k for icemans:judge:
Thanks man! I appreciate the compliment.

And I would consider $40K to be a reasonable offer.:burnout:

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have mine on auto trader for sale but if i could keep i would but i have started my own thing and i am need for a truck and i no for some of us guys the other person that i live with say two car payments so to much

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 6 payments left on my 08 V6 lease, then about a $14k payout. I'm 99% paying it off and keeping it, since I freaking love it.

My only concern is, it's been 15 years since I've owned a car (and especially one that wasn't under warranty anymore.) My G8 now has 42k miles on it, so I'll either pay it off and keep it or sell it for a profit. But I'm assuming I'll keep it since I freaking LOVE the car.

I just wish it had bluetooth and nav :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can't have mine...go get your own!

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts
I would only trade up to a GXP. Other than that, I'm keeping mine for ever.

·
high desert road runner
235 Posts
I'm a new member who's been lurking for about a month now. I'm going to be in the market for a new car soon, and I sort of have my heart set on a G8. I'm the type of buyer Pontiac had in mind for these cars - I've never owned an American car, but this is one that will bring me back. I love the looks, performance, and value. As for my question...

I'm kind of concerned about how many I see for sale! Why all the deals?? It seems like a lot of people, even enthusiasts are this forum, are eager to unload these cars. And a lot of the cars have really low mileage, indicating that they didn't own them long or drive them much. This has me a little worried - what do they know that I don't know?? Seems like people are lowering prices, and even entertaining the thought of selling it directly to a dealer at a reduced price. Why is this? I know the gas mileage isn't great with these, and I'm OK with that. Is there anything else that makes these cars really hard to live with?

Seriously - I'd love to hear G8 owner's thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Fair question. Needs change is probably the biggest reason. I've just sold my 2008 GT that I've owned for 27 months, with 18,700 miles. Reason for sale? I'm retiring soon and don't need three cars. This one I could sell the easiest and quickest while getting its true value.

Perhaps a better question is, now that I've owned and driven one for a while and knowing what I know now, if I were in the same situation as I was then and had the same opportunity to buy as I did then, would I still have bought the G8? Answer: Hell, yeah. No brainer.

So, now someone else gets to enjoy the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've pretty much been set on a G8 for awhile now, and this pretty much solidifies it. Now I just need to find one in my area that has the options and color I want - they seem to be a bit rarer here in the Northwest (not counting the TWO GXP's in our area currently for sale - but logic tells me I should really go for the GT and with the savings I can buy an older Toyota pickup and get my wife granite countertops).

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've pretty much been set on a G8 for awhile now, and this pretty much solidifies it. Now I just need to find one in my area that has the options and color I want - they seem to be a bit rarer here in the Northwest (not counting the TWO GXP's in our area currently for sale - but logic tells me I should really go for the GT and with the savings I can buy an older Toyota pickup and get my wife granite countertops).
Buy a GXP plus a snow tire/wheel package. Your wife can wait on the countertops. F*** logic! :driving:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just to second what you have already heard from others. I have a GT with 75,000 miles in 26 months. Never back to the dealer. I had to replace the gas cap, but GM says they will reimburse me. There is nothing wrong with the G8. OZ is tougher on cars than the US, on average. I think Holden builds them to take more abuse and live.

IMHO most people are not used to keeping a car for two years and getting back most of what they paid. They are selling to get something new or different and the can afford to because of the excellent resale on the G8. Other than an A6 GXP, there is nothing I would rather have in this price range. Good Luck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought my GT in November and I have zero intention of offloading it anytime soon. This is only the second car I've ever owned, and while I have a good job and could technically afford something more expensive, paying off student loans is more of a priority and when it comes to balancing price and performance, nothing beats the G8.

I payed $23,000 CAD for mine with 47,000 Km on it. I just did a quick browse of autotrader.ca and in Ontario it looks like most GT's with around that mileage are averaging high 20's. This car is definitely holding it's value.

I think something to consider is that the majority of the kind of people who would buy G8's are automotive enthusiasts of some sort or another. People like that tend to play with different cars, buy one, drive it for a while, try something else. If anything I think the fact G8's are still selling for what they are is an indicator of how awesome this car is.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
42 Participants
Supercharged
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing