Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here’s some food for thought.
I’ve been digging a little, mostly because of curiosity but also because I believe the trans and engine in my car are getting tired.
The Aussie platform was built with a LFX and a 6L45 tied together using a E39 ECU.
Given that the commodore was so popular in Australia, wouldn’t it be an easy feat to import the engine harness/ ECU and maybe a trans harness to swap a locally sourced powertrain (LFX/6L45) into the G8s?

Money consideration aside for now, the G8 would gain hp, fuel economy, and become lighter in the process, seems like a viable option!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Isn’t that just the V6 trans?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it is but that’s all you need unless you’re pushing more HP

maybe a 6L60e would be a better choice but either way. I’d still be interested in seeing how easy it would be

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Just buy a V6 model. There is more of them and the cost less. Don’t butcher a GT.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Interesting question as I've always felt the V6's should have come with the six speed auto too.
Guess it comes down to the old money n time and skill n fab skills thing again.
I'm good for 1 of 4....retired, I got plenty of time....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I suppose you could swap anything into anything if you have enough time and money but seeing this engine never appeared in the Zeta platform all the engineering would be on swapper #1

In the article they mention a non direct injected V6 the 3.6L V6 LGX, 4.3L V6 LV3 (indirect)

This might be a good replacement engine too so look for wrecked V6 trucks or vans

As for the LGX buy a wrecked 5th gen V6 and you get the engine trans and harness plus the fuel tank and as everyone here knows the Zeta 2 is our cars American cousin and it all should fit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suppose you could go the 4-banger route but it would entail more fabrication (not a problem for me I suppose) but I figured the LFX is identical to the LY7 to the point where it would be an easy swap other than figuring out the harnesses and ECU.
Worst case scenario I guess I could find a whole wrecked camaro and I’ll have the rear end swap as well 🤔

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The reason why the V8 platforms can swap to the other LS series, ie.. ls3 etc.. is because the basic ECU platforms are compatible and there is numerous tuners that can retune as needed.

Not sure if the v6 ecu platforms can do this. If you don't have the ECU tuning, you'll be stuck

·
Registered
29 Posts
god if only GM didnt discontinue pontiac. They probably would have made a nicer modern G8 with a v6 that had the ability for more aftermarket mods while also using LS series engines.. I know thats "basically just a chevy" but also so is GMC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts