Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
GWS Pontiac
634 Posts
I thought he was going to say that the G8 is the worst Pontiac because it is not a Pontiac at all. It is a Holden.

But, I tend to think well of people until they suggest otherwise...

Aye!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I read somewhere that G8 meant Grand Prix 8th Gen and G6 was Grand Am 6th Gen. The rest was to line up with the new names with the exception of the Solstice, Vibe and cannot remember the others.

·
There was one?
2,308 Posts
Do camaro wheels fit on the G8?

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Isn’t the G8 a Bonneville :)?
i had a guy come up to me at a gas station a few weeks back asking about my G8, talking about how you don't see many of them around anymore. i always enjoy those convos because there are maybe a handful of G8s in my area, it's nice when people actually recognize your car.

i agreed with him and gave the whole schpiel about Pontiac shutting down, they only built these for two years, etc. and then he said "that's a grand prix, right?"

:|

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read somewhere that G8 meant Grand Prix 8th Gen and G6 was Grand Am 6th Gen. The rest was to line up with the new names with the exception of the Solstice, Vibe and cannot remember the others.

I heard it was because Bob Lutz was trying to mimic the naming conventions of the Europeans with higher numbers denoting the bigger car (Audi A4, A6, A8; BMW 3-Series, 5-series, 7-series, etc.) I know he was particularly influenced by Audi. If you look at some of the trim lines on the G8’s interior and compare it to Audi’s of that timeframe you can see the similarities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I heard it was because Bob Lutz was trying to mimic the naming conventions of the Europeans with higher numbers denoting the bigger car (Audi A4, A6, A8; BMW 3-Series, 5-series, 7-series, etc.) I know he was particularly influenced by Audi. If you look at some of the trim lines on the G8’s interior and compare it to Audi’s of that timeframe you can see the similarities.

Oh I believe it. Funny enough I bought my G8 at an Audi Dealership in Greenwich,CI (it was a trade in). When I bought it they offered all their Audi perks; only one I went for was the rim insurance since every-time I'd scratch or scuff the rims they'd fix it for free. So when I would bring the car in they'd give me an A4 loaner for the day or two. The G8 interior is almost a carbon copy of that cars interior. Especially the steering wheel.

i had a guy come up to me at a gas station a few weeks back asking about my G8, talking about how you don't see many of them around anymore. i always enjoy those convos because there are maybe a handful of G8s in my area, it's nice when people actually recognize your car.

i agreed with him and gave the whole schpiel about Pontiac shutting down, they only built these for two years, etc. and then he said "that's a grand prix, right?"

:|
Your lucky, out here in NYC everyone either thinks its G6 (had auto-zone employees swear up and down that G8s are everywhere, and are common) or everyone thinks its a GTO. I think the only time anyone actually recognized it was when I moved out into long island NY where people that recognized it thought I bought it as a collector investment car, because "They have been going up in price". So weird...

I have been a Pontiac guy all my life and that will never change.

I want to share this article that I read upon it's original publication ten years ago. The topic is old news but in case you haven't read it yet.

Jim Wangers on the Death of Pontiac Excitement
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/jim-wangers-on-the-death-of-pontiac-excitement-135227/

Jim Wangers is quoted:

It's hard for me to associate the G8 as one of those cars with the insanely stupid ‘G’ names, but I do agree with him otherwise. In a perfect world, Pontiac would have kept all their classic name plates and added only the G8 and passed over the G3, G5 and G6.
I don't know I think people are a bit too harsh about GTO/G8 tame styling and marketing. Most don't really consider that Aztec flopping is arguably one of the top reasons Pontiac was struggling. They didn't really have the money to go and redesign the exterior.

Though understandably if GTO/G8/SS had say.... HSV styling. They'd have issues keeping those cars in stock in US. Kind of ironic since in EU tame styling is preferred for their sports cars. Our GTO and G8 styling was perfect for them. However GM decided to give them HSV aggressive styling, which did very poorly there. (Check out all the EU reviews). I sometimes think that outside of Chevy and Cadillac, GM never gave a crap about other brands and just "Threw" them at markets with zero thought as to if the markets wanted that particular style or not. Anyone here remembers seeing any marketing for SS? I had no idea it even existed, until I went shopping for G8.

That and Pontiac was very weird with timing. They either riced cars out of the factory before ricing was a thing. Or they would go hardcore sleeper, right after it fell out of fashion.

Though honestly I think both the financial crash as well as following gas crisis is what REALLY killed them. I was in market for buying a new G8 back then, and even with excellent income and credit history I couldn't get one financed, that was ridiculous. And then when gas prices soared, everyone panicked thinking that $5+ a gallon would be norm. Thus people stayed the hell away from anything bigger than a I4.

I honestly think if it came out sooner, before the crash/oil crisis. It'd have done the trick and save Pontiac, just like how Charger saved Dodge.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

In a way I see your point about the Euro Style but, keep in mind that is an Aussie design and their cars have an Euro flair with the US muscle car feel. I think, they used the 5 Series BMW as a base for the design. Not sure but I think they said it on the "Billion Dollar Baby" Holden video.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't watched the video (yet) but I'm basing everything on something I read about Bob Lutz liking the look of the Audi interior. My wife has a 2008 A8 (don't get me started on the love-hate relationship) and we test-drove some 5-series BMWs prior to buying the A8. My personal opinion is that the controls of the G8 are very simple and BMW-like (seat heat, HVAC, radio). The interior style (like the silver trim line that wraps the doors and dash) is very Audi-like. And the exterior I would say looks BMW-inspired with a more muscular feel, as you noted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse for my TT GXP, I'd sell it and buy a 2 year old CPO S8.

Audi’s are indeed nice, but take it from me, they’re damn expensive to keep on the road. The A8 has cost us more than $12,000 over 5 years of ownership, breaking out to $0.41/mile. Thanks to the lifter failure and associated DOD delete, the G8 has come in at $0.12/mile over 3.5 years. By way of comparison, my last car, an 04 Grand Prix, was $.01/mile over 10 years.

The Audi’s are a beyotch to work on. The only repair I’ve attempted is the front pads and rotors, which took 6 hours. The water pump, for example, was a $1500 repair. They had to take the entire front off the car to access it, then there are 3 separate cooling systems that all have to be individually bled in correct order.

CPO, you might be okay.... until the CPO warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'm familiar with the cost of German car repairs. About 3 years ago the water pump went out on my wife's 2007 BMW 335i. The dealership initially wanted @ $1,500 for the repair. I called a friend who owns a shop and asked him how much. My bro price was $750. I told the BMW service advisor that I would have the car towed out the next day. He immediately came down to $1,200. I said no. $1k. No. Finally settled on $850. It would've cost me over a hundred for the tow, so I actually saved a few more bucks having the work done there.
Incidentally, that car just got replaced with a 2016 CPO 340i Xdrive last weekend because I knew it was on borrowed time, and I got a deal I couldn't refuse.

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts