Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
female, no 'bro'
295 Posts
nothing different besides the little things like the V6 has a spare and smaller engine. i'd say mileage, body condition and carfax. no different when looking for your G8 :p Also check on how good the tires are. my dealer sold me bad tires and now have I have to dish out money for new tires for only putting 10k on the car. Also check for orange peel on the paint. a dealer had that on a G8 i was looking at and claimed nothing happened.

Pros: faster then my old car.
Cons: haven't found one.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well should I be worried on anything? The car she's eyeing is a guy I know personally and is a salesman. It's an 08 with 165,000. Orange in color. He's owned it since new

·
every village has one
2,380 Posts
Check out the threads associated with timing chain issues.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
165K = 33,000 miles per year = No Thanks!

With the millions of cars out there for the taking I wouldn't narrow yourself into a corner on a V6 G8 with crazy miles.

Whats your price range? Does it really matter to her about things like RWD?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
165K = 33,000 miles per year = No Thanks!

With the millions of cars out there for the taking I wouldn't narrow yourself into a corner on a V6 G8 with crazy miles.

Whats your price range? Does it really matter to her about things like RWD?
She wants a g8 that's all she tells me. Our price range is below 13,500

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bought my g8 for 12,900. With 80k miles. Little to no issues with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would keep looking for a low miles G8. Any car with that many miles and your asking for trouble. I got my 08 G8 in Aug. with less than 20K on it for under 20 grand. The car looks and performs like a brand new car and I'm covered if anything does go wrong up to 100K.Good luck trying to get anything major fixed when your over 100K already. KEEP LOOKING, your car is out there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Agree with looking for a lower mileage car. ( preferably one that was always in the south away from snow). However a high mileage car can be a good buy if you know how it was treated.
Check the car fax
See if and when the timing chain was replaced
Check for body damage
Before buying I would get an independent mechanic to check it out.
I.E: compression in each cylinder
Sparkplugs
Break fluid for moister content
Shocks…
Break pads and rotor thickness
Rust
The sensors ( some of them should have been replaced but the car will signal if one is currently bad.
Normally water pumps go out between 100,000 to 150,000 pending on the car and if someone kept the maintenance on it. Just a fact of life when you get a car with that type of mileage. ( there are always exceptions but that’s the norm what I have found)
Bottom line if you are going to buy a car with over 100,000 miles have it independently checked out. Its worth the money.
Also go to the bank and see what coverage you can get on an extended warranty, however I am not sure their cut off on the mileage or it may be so high its not worth the bother

Good luck

I rechecked your post....... South D It will probably have rust issues...... get one from the south.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
What a ****load of miles.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Get a v8. More power , better mpg

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I still get 27.3 on the hwy for 1hour at 71mph

Got 29.5 stock

·
Registered
197 Posts
What to look for? V8. I get 27 mpg highway, and 20 city.

·
Registered
197 Posts
How do u guys get mileage like that? My GT only gets 18.5 with a mix of city/highway (majority highway). I did jus drive a couple hundred miles only highway and clocked 2mpg with the cruise set at 77.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but heres what I've found. The on board mpg calculator is not entirely accurate. As a DD the number I get is 22 or 23 mpg, 50/50 mix of highway and city. Long trips the computer seems to be accurate. Have you compared mpg with the computer with calculating it out at the pump? Again, not looking for an answer on this thread, just a general question. Sorry OP on the thread borrowing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A lot of things are similar... don't forget that us V6 guys tend to run into a lot of shot/collapsed strut mounts too. Mine were done for at only 30k and I didn't recognize the symptoms soon enough to get them replaced while still under b2b warranty!

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
165,ooo miles? Holy !*%@....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.