Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a CONFIRMED/VERIFIED yes or no on a 15" wheel fitting over the rear calipers. If not has anyone found an alternative brake/rotor combination that will accommodate this wheel size other than brembo or carlyle such as camaro 5 v6 or g8 base?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
15's will not fit over the stock rear calipers though they can be modified by grinding off something...don't remember what. You have to change to rotor as well as some other stuff. Chase Kirby at Mirror Image (see Facebook) has a kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
15's will not fit over the stock rear calipers though they can be modified by grinding off something...don't remember what. You have to change to rotor as well as some other stuff. Chase Kirby at Mirror Image (see Facebook) has a kit.
i seen that, pretty pricey.

pretty sure if you switch to base g8 calipers and rotors they'll fit inside the wheel, though i believe the control arm needs to be changed.
looks like ill just have to experiment then. thanks

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
any luck with this ? I am looking to do the same for drag racing ,, although the rules for nhra stock eliminator is a no wider than a 9.0 wide slick ,, so a 8.0-9.0 wide rim would be the widest and don't know how close or interference it would be to the control arm,

·
Registered
45 Posts
It has been done numerous times. Thing is, very few cars make enough power to justify doing it. Plenty of cars go deep into the 9's on 17's.

There is no performance threshold that is required to benefit from the rotational weight savings, added traction, and less price of tires that 15" wheels give you.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Disagree. When you make more power than what a 17" will hold, you go to 15". To do so before that is a poor allocation of resources. The money spent on doing the conversion would more than cover the difference in cost on many sets of tires. The weight difference (even being unsprung and rotational) is negligible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts