Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The screen that is for your radio and everything in the G8's, if I subscribe to OnStar will show maps or will OnStar just tell me my directions by voice?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Nope. You would need a VIM and another source for gps like garmin or integrate your phone GPS

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Kinda wrong, the DIC acts as a map showing directions with arrows when using OnStar for GPS.
Turn-by-turn directions...

... are not the same as a Map

The reason I installed my in-dash GPS was so that I could get an actual map. I tried using the OnStar directions and after 10min of the operator having no clue how to find a road (without an address) I just gave-up. Having an actual map makes navigating so much easier, especially when things deviate from the pre-planned route.

-Todd...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dear jdubdoubleu,

According the the OnStar website, they have the "eNav" feature. This would allow a person that has navigation to be able to view the directions from OnStar through their navigation unit. I recommend contact OnStar for more details about this.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
You've got mail, YAAAAY!
1,950 Posts
^^^^Hi Michelle,^^^^

While this is true, the onstar synch will not work through the head unit in the G8. Either way, G8 owners are forced to buy aftermarket navigation systems for the car.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dear JTW,

Thank you for the further details about the OnStar eNav program.

As I stated in my post on June 6th, people that would like more specific information about this would have to contact OnStar or visit the OnStar site to get further specific information about this service from them.

I hope that you are having a great day!

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
You would need something like the Garmin GVN-53 and VIM. Works good in my car except that you can't use the radio/cd player when it's on screen.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey Michelle GM Customer Disservice, why are you monitoring our post and jumping into our conversations? If you want to help recall the stinking LCA's in our cars at no cost to owners whenever they fail. I don't see you on those threads offering help!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dear quitplayn,

Thank you for your feedback about my presence on the forum. Would you like to provide me with additional details about your situation with the LCA in your vehicle? This would allow me to exhaust my resources.

I have documented the LCA situations that the G8 owners have been posting on the forum. This means that the complaints about this particular situation are stored and may be accessed by many departments at General Motors.

I hope that you are having a glorious day!

Sincerely,

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok, to add on the original post. When I turn on my radio, the Pontiac emblem comes up in silver, and bright red. Is it possible to have the screen display video in color, like if you hooked it up through so sort of video hook up ? (are there video hook ups behind radio ?)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
So, the module costs 250 bucks apprx? To unlock it so you can watch video on the screen? When moving faster than 3 mph. You would have to still make your rca jacks though? Or buy for a little more money? In theory sounds good, not sure though for 250 though. I guess if that was an installed price. 250 and I still have to do all the work? Not happening right now. just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Hey Michelle GM Customer Disservice, why are you monitoring our post and jumping into our conversations? If you want to help recall the stinking LCA's in our cars at no cost to owners whenever they fail. I don't see you on those threads offering help!
We are glad she does. She's helping folks out. Read her threads.

So, the module costs 250 bucks apprx? To unlock it so you can watch video on the screen? When moving faster than 3 mph. You would have to still make your rca jacks though? Or buy for a little more money? In theory sounds good, not sure though for 250 though. I guess if that was an installed price. 250 and I still have to do all the work? Not happening right now. just my opinion.
You need to shop around more.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
There is another vendor here who can unlock your radio as well. You use to have to mail in your radio but now I believe he has a module that he sends out where you flash your radio (electronically that is, so please keep your cloths on :barf:) and then you return the module for your deposti defund. Although I have not used his service from what others have said works very well. Check him out here http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45058&highlight=iwm

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Onstar doesnt work well with our vehicles... the display is small and you dont see anything but an arrow on which way to go next. A GPS like Garmin or the like is 110% better and more useful. I actually got completely lost using Onstar and they led me 30 miles from my actual destination. They have their issues. Never had any issues like this with Garmin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts