1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
637 Posts
Steve Meade posts some awesome stuff. His Tahoe and Lexus LSF are amazing build quality. Plus he posts cool videos from events just like that crazy Integra.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I subscribed to his YouTube videos a month or so ago. Yea pretty bad ass stuff. I've been in a few of my own. That iasca event I was at had some incredible stuff. After that day I officially bowed out of professional sound off events. I didn't have those kinda funds. They had the spl record holder there which at the time was this guys Bronco from I think Texas. It was all precision power subs. There was no way of being in it when it was on. They had a submarine style hatch on the pass. Side to get in . Never did get to hear it. These days I'm sure that guy would be blown out of the water. I'm not into it like I was when I was a kid. I might do a twelve in the g8. Who knows .

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
to each his own. I love my bass, but I like the whole thing to sound good, highs mids, and to hear the music not just the ear damaging thump...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's a thing like anything else. Some go wild, some go mild...others could care less. It can be applied to ANYTHING!

I used to want something crazy like that. More of a mild mannered modder now. Hahaha

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea to each their own. I love both sound quality and high bass spl cars.

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
I used to do some bass competitions here and there. Had 2 12" L7s behind the seat of my extended cab tacoma. To those that ask why, this is just a competition like any other to see who can go the biggest. I hit 150.4 DB on my best run. That isn't crazy like a lot of the setups you can find but I could still set off car alarms and bounce things off of the roof. The windshield flexed enough that it would bounce the wipers off of it which rendered them worthless in the rain with the bass turned up. I have more or less completely switched from that to going fast though. I sold off all of my equipment when I bought the G8 as I didn't want to have to give up my trunk. I would be happy with some aftermarket 8s in the rear deck but seeing as that is almost impossible to do without rattles I may end up doing 1 10 or 12 in the trunk at some point.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Wow, that's crazy! I had a 1200 watt JBL system in higschool in my POS Lumina. I cant tell you how many capacitors I blew!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
The guy recording, Steve Meade, his Tahoe has 4 AA SMD 18s on 8 2500bd.cp's and they pound, but he also has the highs, and mids tuned properly through a Rockford 3sixty.3. It's truely well done and balance and I would take that truck in a heartbeat!

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
its pretty hard to break a windshield in a strong roofed car. that car has a very weak roof, that system is very loud indeed im sure, but my guess is still around 152-153db on a TERMlab sensor meter, the termlab db meter is much more accurate then most spl meters like the AC(audiocontrol mic). as long as the windshield is on a strong roof, there are super-street class cars hitting 165DB area not breaking windshields, lets say 32000 watts rms and 8 -15s. db drag has street classes that don't allow plexi windshields and people get the most they can out of stock glass, its more about the roof then the actual windshield.

I used to do a lot of DB Drag - back in 2002-2005 time. I had a j30 with a wall in the backseat with a 8 cube box with 2 solo-x 12s and 2 kicker 2500 amps, my best SPL was 149.2 at the dash, and around 150 at the head rest at 35hz on the termlab sensor, it was not a one hit wonder and tuned for low bass not just loud 45-50hz area. I ran super street 1-2 cause it was a wall and I was beat a lot just cause my system was more of a music system and not a one note wonder. on the audio control mic my car was around 158-160DB.

those cars that are really really loud are something to be inside. I was at a DB drag competition one time, and asked if I could sit in the truck while a 5 minute bass race final went on. I sat in a truck that had 4 18s in a camper shell truck with the rear glass removed as a cut-through and a bandpass setup with 16000 watts. it was able to do 159 db on the sensor, and was hitting 154db for 5 minutes with me in it, it was something to experience, its just insane, a whole body gasum, lol

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its pretty hard to break a windshield in a strong roofed car. that car has a very weak roof, that system is very loud indeed im sure, but my guess is still around 152-153db on a TERMlab sensor meter, the termlab db meter is much more accurate then most spl meters like the AC(audiocontrol mic). as long as the windshield is on a strong roof, there are super-street class cars hitting 165DB area not breaking windshields, lets say 32000 watts rms and 8 -15s. db drag has street classes that don't allow plexi windshields and people get the most they can out of stock glass, its more about the roof then the actual windshield.
I'm sure the roof may help. I love people that brag about their system blowing out the window or windows. Its because the window wasn't put in well that it happens. That same show in Canada. A guy told me about this little chevett that was hitting 160's and never blew a wiindow. Mean while I got guys with way less then that bragging about how they blew out their window. I stopped with the spl thing in 98 or so. Kinda miss it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts