Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read way to many articles and posts showing it wasn't wise to drive in winter. They obviously are morons... Pirelli Sottozero 3 245/45/18. Nuff said.

Drives like magic. Stabilitrak keeps it from getting hairy. I defeat it every day, sideways out every turn.

I drifted fwd 3800 supercharged cars doing 80mph sideways so I can handle a little ass happiness.

Who else Loves it in winter?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Me. I like winter driving it.

I test drove a GT in winter when they were new in the dealership and was impressed with how well it hooked up even on all season tires at the time. With winters, it is pretty good. And fun.

Today I drove the GT to work in -22C and it is working great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's a far cry from the Subaru Legacy GT AWD I had before for control and stability on snow and ice. After some driver adjustment it's decent enough to drive with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires.

Had some -35C weather here this year, for a car that was designed in Australia where it barely never freezes they did a pretty good job on winter performance :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Getting a little loosey goosey on my own isn't what bothers me, I'm more worried about the general public who don't change their driving habits for the winter conditions. I'll stick to my beater Legacy for the real heavy stuff.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Getting a little loosey goosey on my own isn't what bothers me, I'm more worried about the general public who don't change their driving habits for the winter conditions. I'll stick to my beater Legacy for the real heavy stuff.
Exactly, its the other morons on the road, not that I'm Jackie Stewart or anything....
Love giving her a jab and sending out the a$$ end.
But drive the wife's Rabbit in the real crud.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Love my G8 with blizaaks! Although it usually stays in the garage and I drive the old Tahoe, less dings to the G8 haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a far cry from the Subaru Legacy GT AWD I had before for control and stability on snow and ice. After some driver adjustment it's decent enough to drive with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires.

Had some -35C weather here this year, for a car that was designed in Australia where it barely never freezes they did a pretty good job on winter performance :)
For sure!

Were you driving the G8 today?

On the Alberta G8 FB group someone mentioned spotting a white GXP on Barlow today....... thought perhaps it was you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
For sure!

Were you driving the G8 today?

On the Alberta G8 FB group someone mentioned spotting a white GXP on Barlow today....... thought perhaps it was you?
I did go up Barlow this afternoon, for sure it was me!

Thanks for pointing out the FB group, I just sent a join request

·
Registered
119 Posts
Love my G8 in the winter

The car is balanced well. The positraction rear differential is awesome. The traction control is great going straight on the highway. Off on hills and pulling out. I run P 275-40-18 Z A/S on the rear giving me 11.5" of traction on each side propelling me out of any situation. I drive through PA winters since 2009 with confidence and no worries. We just got close to 12" of snow today and I will be out in it with my G8. :grin2:

·
Registered
169 Posts
As long as the snow isn't pushing up to where the car becomes a snow plow, I kind of love driving in the snow. Not the caprice (in need of tires as the stock RSA are... poor), but my Crown Vic. I have studded snow tires on it from about Thanksgiving through April, and this thing is a tank. Nothing fancy for traction control, just a little slide if pushed, and very planted during braking. A full size sedan in what feels like a sea of 4x4s and SUVs.

-J

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, the only thing my 275 blizzaks do is spin, roost snow and float when I go over 2k rpm's with anything more than an inch of snow on the ground.
They came already mounted on CTS-V sedan wheels or I'd be 235's all around on stock wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in Michigan, I’ve driven my G8 GT as my DD since we got it 4.5 years ago. Winter tires are a must, but I’ve not really had a problem the whole time i’ve had the car. We do use my husbands wrangler for the really bad weather though, but i’m sure that would be the case regardless of the type of car I had.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
I'm driving on used Blizzaks I purchased last winter. The only issue I've had is sometimes not being able to get up my driveway, but if there is enough snow we can't get any of our cars up the hill.

I also have the luxury of working from home, so I haven't HAD to go too much in the snow. I did introduce my daughter to donuts when bringing her to her school program one snow day when they hadn't plowed the school lot yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am running the new BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S P275/40ZR18. Last set was General G max A/S in the same size. Also great in the rain Little to no hydroplaning.

·
Drives with wolves
893 Posts
I drive Yokohama Iceguard IG52c's in 225/55-17 and they handle winter with a glance here in Montana. I've got a steep driveway living 7 miles from Glacier Park. When FWD cars with studded tires have had slight trouble getting up in deep slush or snow......the G goes right up the driveway without any stutter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I drove mine this winter with all season tires.

The stability control assistance is great and the drifts are fun also when you want them to happen but deep snow is a huge pain. My last few Pontiacs just plowed through the snow but the G8 gets stuck if the snow is more than a few inches...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts