Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a suggestion... lots of new G8 owners here who have to drive their cars in winter... you don't seem to have any G8-specific winter tire and wheel packages on your website... I know I'm early, but I'm starting to budget for new wheels and tires... might want to put some things together (Blizzaks, Dunlop WinterSports, et. al.)

Are there any issues with putting 17" wheels (proper offsets) on a GT?

--Robert

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I will see what I can put together for you guys. It is early though, so I am not sure what snow tire requests of ours will be fullfilled this year or not. We order tens of 1000's of snow tires every year but we usually only receive about 40% of them due to the high European demand. As soon as I know what's coming I will post up.

For now here's some info.

As for 17" wheels on a GT, As long as they are the right width and offset, and they clear the brakes I don't see any issues. Here's a list of 17's I show will fit the G8 without any issues:

17" wheels for G8

A great winter tire size to run with 17" wheels on your G8 is a 225/55R17. It looks like we have currenlty have some Hankook W300's in stock. These are great winter tires for any sporty sedan in moderate winter conditions.

Here are a few helpful links about winter tires.
Winter Tires FAQ
Winter Tires below 45 degrees

·
Hawthorne Engine 1
889 Posts
any update on a special package for the board members? I think 18s would probly be better to make sure there are no clearance issues with the brakes...

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
We've started to receive some of our snow tires but the bulk will be coming towards the end of this month, the beginning of Sept.

For snow wheel and tire packages, 17" would offer the best winter performance. They will allow you to run a slightly thicker sidewall which will provide you with more tire flex to keep your tire stuck to the road.

For those interested in 18" wheel and tire snow packages here are a few links:

18" wheels

For tire sizes; 225/50R18 and 235/50R18 would be good sizes. These sizes perform best when mounted on a 7.5" wide wheel.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Could you also work on a package for the GXP? At least come up with a list of rims that will fit over the Brembos.

I notice your website does not have a specific callout for the G8 GXPs BTW.

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
Our fitment guide department is having a hard time finding a GXP to measure. Anyone here in Phoenix want to volunteer their vehicle for an hour or two?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm in for winter wheels for a GT

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
Any takers on letting us measure your GXP in Phoenix? I'll give the volunteer a $50/$100 off coupon for their next purchase. ($50.00 off any wheeels OR tires, $100.00 off any wheel and tire package)... Any takers?

·
'11 STI Sedan
1,341 Posts
priced out some cheapo wheels and some blizzaks. $1200 shipped from tire rack

·
Registered
253 Posts
Seriously, I swear there's never an opportunity like that in Chicago, hopefully someone in AZ steps up as I'm going to be in need of a winter setup before you know it....

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in for 17's if/when Discount Tire gets this going. Will this be an online only buy or could we waltz into our local Discount Tire and get the same deal (whatever it might be) on the wheel and tire packages?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 19's will have to be carefully fitted, as even the 19" Sport package GT rims won't fit on a GXP...

If you're on a GT, from what I understand you should be able to fit 225/55's on a 17" wheel with no issues...

I've heard great things about Dunlop WinterSport 3D tires (from other GTO owners as well as a co-worker with a 3-series)... not sure if this is something you carry...

·
Registered
669 Posts
DTD, did you guys find a GXP to measure yet? Looks to me there are at least 10 GXP guys chomping at the bit for a group winter wheel and tire buy.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts