Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I got 18" that clear the Brembos (just barely). It can be done.
What's the make and model of the wheel? What's the offset? If you are planning on driving this in winter, do you think there's enough room if you get ice/slush in the wheels, to not cause a problem?

·
Registered
669 Posts
What's the make and model of the wheel? What's the offset? If you are planning on driving this in winter, do you think there's enough room if you get ice/slush in the wheels, to not cause a problem?
I believe they are MSW Type 12. I wasn't so much interested in make and model as I was in them being cheeeep! I would have gotten steel wheels if they were available. :D

Don't know the offset, but the place I got them from said they would fit. I was a little skeptical and the first thing I did when I got them was trial fit one on the front. They bolted up OK and the wheel spun free. They look a little snug as compared to the 19"s, but nothing touches as far as I can see. I suppose the real acid test will be when I put them on and drive on them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tirerack lists 18's that fit the GXP in their winter setup section...there's a couple different wheels if I remember correctly...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tire rack is where I saw the 18's, if I remember correctly they had around 12 different wheels of the 18" variety that they list as fitting the 09 G8 GXP. If I'm not mistaken if they list it as fitting your specific model they garruntee that they will fit. If I am wrong on this please let me know. I will be calling them shortly to get the skinny on the whole deal. I'm looking at some OZ Crono HT 18x8 with LM-60 Blizzaks. Price I have quoted with sensors, valve stems, wheels, tires, and mount and balance is $1652. That price does not include shipping keep in mind.

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
Thank you everyone for you patience. We were able to measure ColdFuzions GXP (thanks again) and we have a list of wheels that fit. Here's the link:
We plan on putting together some winter packages for you guys shortly. As soon as we do, we'll post up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So here is the deal. I just got off the phone with Tire Rack. If it is listed as fitting your specific make model, and sub model, i.e. GXP they will fit. If on the very, VERY outside chance that they wouldn't fit they will take the tires back at their cost. As the gentleman put it to me, it is our(TireRack's) mistake. Shipping on a set of four mounted and balanced is $94 to Iowa. He said that they would be here in 3-4 business days coming by UPS ground. I think I will be placing my order tonight. I'll let you all know when I get them on the car and see how they work. If I can I'll take some pics and post them up so everyone can see how they fit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks Coops, looking forward to some pics. Also, DTD, please hook us up w/ some packages as I'm going to need some sooner than later. Weather here in Chicago is getting cold fast....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ordered tires late Mon. night, and when I got home from work today (Weds.) there sat four new shiny circles with tires. I haven't put them on the car yet, probably this weekend when I have some time. The packaging was great, they really worked to make sure the tires and rims were protected from dinging one another. The real test will come when I go to put them on the car. That will be put up or shut up time for the folks at Tire Rack. I will keep everyone posted and post some pics of everything before and after putting them on the car.
Tony

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well the rack have some that start at 119 each, so please do your best to beat that..I'm going to be ordering in the next few weeks and am pretty much just looking to get the cheapest setup I can since they're for the winter, I don't really care what they look like....

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
We've started to receive some of our snow tires but the bulk will be coming towards the end of this month, the beginning of Sept.

For snow wheel and tire packages, 17" would offer the best winter performance. They will allow you to run a slightly thicker sidewall which will provide you with more tire flex to keep your tire stuck to the road.

For those interested in 18" wheel and tire snow packages here are a few links:

18" wheels

For tire sizes; 225/50R18 and 235/50R18 would be good sizes. These sizes perform best when mounted on a 7.5" wide wheel.

Hello, here's a question,

In your quote above, it seems that you state that 225/50R18 fit the stock 18" G8 rims. Can you confirm? EVerywhere else I've done research on online only list 245/45R18 as stock for the 18's and 235/50R18 as an optional size. Can we safely get thinner to a 225 tire on the stock GT rim?

Please confirm.

--zepcom

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
Hello, here's a question,

In your quote above, it seems that you state that 225/50R18 fit the stock 18" G8 rims. Can you confirm? EVerywhere else I've done research on online only list 245/45R18 as stock for the 18's and 235/50R18 as an optional size. Can we safely get thinner to a 225 tire on the stock GT rim?

Please confirm.

--zepcom
Good question zep,

Here are the approved rim width ranges for each size.

225/50-18 - 6" to 8"
235/50-18 - 6.5" to 8.5"

Since you the factory GT wheel is 8" wide, you can safley run size 225/50-18.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well I got the tires on the car. They fit just fine. I think they look pretty good as well. Some people will disagree but everyone has their own tastes. I was gonna put some pics up but it is asking me for a url address for my photos. I'm not that good with computers so I'm not sure how to go about loading the pics. If anyone could help out here I will do my best to get the pics up.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
Well I got the tires on the car. They fit just fine. I think they look pretty good as well. Some people will disagree but everyone has their own tastes. I was gonna put some pics up but it is asking me for a url address for my photos. I'm not that good with computers so I'm not sure how to go about loading the pics. If anyone could help out here I will do my best to get the pics up.

I saw your thread, looks good coops. Nice work!

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
I Just heard back from our fitment department again. Looks like the Drag DR37 in 18" will also work on the GXP.

These will show up in a search by vehicle for the G8 GXP in a day or two.
In the mean time, the 18" will fit link: Drag DR37

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
What are y'alls current winter tire selections in the 225/55x17 sizes...lookin to order a winter wheel setup here in the next day or two...

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
29 Participants
CMD
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing