Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
G104 grounding stud located right next to your underhood start post grounding stud on the drivers side fender, is the grounding source for the following items. It must be in good condition to allow those circuits assigned to it, to have them function as intended. Hood Ajar (which allows for remote start), left an right horns, w/w pump, forward left an right parking and turn signals, left an right high beam headlights, and left an right cooling fans. Any significant rise in resistance above a solid ground potential, could make some or all of those circuits fail.

Failure of RAP 1 relay causes RAP 2 relay to also fail (in the I/P fuse panel). That would cause a failure of your window control an the loss of aux power outlets. You could reverse #1 an #2 RAP relays to verify or eliminate them as part of your problems. While mulling over on making a decision on Thawk's post, you could test to see how many of these circuits work or don't work. Or ignore all of this if you feel that there are no problems with anything above.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
G104 grounding stud located right next to your underhood start post grounding stud on the drivers side fender, is the grounding source for the following items.
Happen to have a picture of the location for clarification? If not, no worries.

Failure of RAP 1 relay causes RAP 2 relay to also fail (in the I/P fuse panel).
Does I/P = Driver Side Compartment? Are you suggesting swapping these relays inside the car?

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Look just outboard of your engine air filter housing. There you will see a good sized slug attached to the fender. That is the location that a jump start grounding cable would be attached. Just below that (about 1 to 2 ") is that G104 grounding location. I/P stands for Instrument Panel. But that I/P fuse panel is indeed the one behind the left kick panel area. RAP relays are among the items located on that fuse block.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Well now----- Since the windows work, you can forget about the RAP relays.

I'll wait for an answer as to what does or doesn't work from those items listed in post #21 before diving back into the service manuals for possible solutions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@Thawk @GOPHERIT
Decided to invest in a scanner Autel MaxiCOM MK808. Arrived today so am by no means a pro with this thing. Still need to charge it. I did mess around today and I did grab all the codes (see pics below) and am trying to educate myself on what each mean.
In terms of commanding things on/off, I was able to confirm washer pump, turn signals, low/high beams, locks, interior lights, park lights all work. Wipers and fog lights would not energize. Appears wiper switch is working in all speeds except high speed relay. I don’t suspect a bad high speed relay. I swapped these with fan relays in the engine compartment fuse box and no change. I still think wiper motor has failed.

let me know your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
That looks like a pretty neat scanner you got there. For sure, all I got from trying to understand your pics was a headache. Could not figure out how to read an understand what it is displaying with my head flopped over at 90 degrees. But in your text (if I'm reading "it" correctly), is that all those items "that were" inop, are now magically working again, except your high speed wiper action, plus a new one (that being the fog lights).

Did your fog lights actually work correctly prior to the rain problem ? Using them a lot could be as simple as both lamps being burned out, or if you almost never use them, the configuration could have been incorrect to allow them to turn on..

·
Premium Member
9,479 Posts
Wiper schematic. Checked the F4 fuse and R5 relay for the foglamps?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That looks like a pretty neat scanner you got there. For sure, all I got from trying to understand your pics was a headache. Could not figure out how to read an understand what it is displaying with my head flopped over at 90 degrees. But in your text (if I'm reading "it" correctly), is that all those items "that were" inop, are now magically working again, except your high speed wiper action, plus a new one (that being the fog lights).

Did your fog lights actually work correctly prior to the rain problem ? Using them a lot could be as simple as both lamps being burned out, or if you almost never use them, the configuration could have been incorrect to allow them to turn on..
I rotated the pics above for better viewing. I post from a phone so forget about image orientation, lol! I charged the scanner overnight so I am going to try and mess with the scanner again today to command the wipers and fog lights on/off again. To clarify, it appears the wiper switch is working but not in high speed. However, the wipers never stroked when commanded to at any speed (intermittent, low, high). Maybe wiper motor failed or something happened at the connector? I’m thinking of starting there but am going to order a wiper motor first.
Testing the Fog lamps may have been user error, lol. I’ll try again today.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts