Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got done upgrading all of my door speakers to Infinity Kappa 62.9i's and love the way it sounds. I was wanting to now upgrade the center channel dash speaker. I've found the JBL GTO328's on Amazon for about $60/pair. Here's my problem the more threads I read the more contradictory information I see. Some say the center channel speaker should just be disconnected, others say to run a higher ohm speaker (I've seen as high as 16 ohms to reduce the output from the center channel), and yet others say just to leave the stock center channel speaker alone as an upgrade won't help the sound quality.

I'd like to know from those that have replaced the center channel speaker if the cost is worth it. I know they're only $60/pair for the JBL's, but if the sound quality will not increase or even make the sound worse than I'd like to know before purchasing. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
397 Posts
As I said in the other thread. I replaced the center with an Infinity Kappa 32.9 + resistor and subsequently removed and sold it. Not worth the effort.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
I personally think you should spend the $/effort on making your door speakers sound better. A simple polarity swap between door speakers to find which way gives the best midbass output and could do wonders for your sound and "staging". Going further, you could do fairly simple, effective and cheap job of sealing and deadening your doors, that would result in a huge sound upgrade.

That center channel is usually a detriment to having better stereo separation (a good thing) and can be too loud bouncing off the glass. The stock dash tweeters should be unhooked as well since your door speakers have tweeters already. Stock tweeets are too harsh and distort easily at any real volume. Combined with the center channel, all three dash speakers plain suck IMO. I was resistant at first, but you should at least try not running them.

As far as replacing the speaker, you can just pretty much the same results by choking the stocker's output by doing a resistor mod. $60 can get you enough deadening materials to treat your front doors, and will actually give you a huge increase in SQ.

1. seal/deaden the doors (HUGE benefit)
2. read up about polarity for front midrange, it's not always + to + and - to - on speaker connections.
a.turn off or choke the volume down on all the stock dash speakers

You really need to accomplish both of those main points as they are integral to each other as an audio system, and you will see a huge increase in midbass output from your front speakers (a very good thing), and improved vocal quality because vibrating doors can add color/resonance to your sound and ruin it.

Then once you are addicted, add a 4 channel amplifier to your Kappa's and really start kicking ass :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts