Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got an 09 supercharged with longtubes no cats but still have had on the stock mufflers for years because of the noise issue (used to have a very loud GTO). I do have dual cutouts under the front seats and do use them once in a while but notice significant low end power loss when they are open, I guess backpressure issue. So because of this I am wondering if putting a couple mufflers that are more straight through design would give me a good power boost with me being supercharged instead of the restrictive stock ones.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Hey guys I've got an 09 supercharged with longtubes no cats but still have had on the stock mufflers for years because of the noise issue (used to have a very loud GTO). I do have dual cutouts under the front seats and do use them once in a while but notice significant low end power loss when they are open, I guess backpressure issue. So because of this I am wondering if putting a couple mufflers that are more straight through design would give me a good power boost with me being supercharged instead of the restrictive stock ones.
I'm going to assume you have a 3" LT setup to the stock mufflers. I'm of the opinion that yes, they are holding you back a little, but it very much depends on a lot of factors.

Back in the day, I believe it was proven that they only really start to hold you back a little at around the 500+RWHP mark. So if you're around there, you may start to see gains with a 2.5" muffler or larger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I know it's not 3" because my GTO had full 3" piping and it was big, so I'm pretty sure it's 2.25 or 2.5 , whatever is stock. All of this was done by previous owner so I don't know why he didn't put bigger piping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts