Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This G8 was in an accident driving in a bus's a55... hood, bumper, lights, L and R fenders were all changed. Driver airbag deployed and was reinserted certified.

The bumper reinforcement was moved a bit, seems like a soft crash. The front lower control arms were not changed... just to add, every G8 ive looked at on the web never had their front lower control arms changed, what the heck? Its just a time bomb waiting to blow.

·
Registered
426 Posts
in all honesty i probably wouldn't buy a salvageable car. Now on the other hand if you were buying it to use parts in a existing one like i'm possibly looking at doing with buying a salvage gt so i can get the motor/trans, wiring and possible interior swap i'd say go for it

you could find a used v6 for pretty good cash. cuz once you start looking into repairing it, you'll be amazed how quick things add up as noone makes aftermarket parts and everything is dealer only

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn i forgot... the car was repaired. everything looks flush paint is about 100% same. Im only worried about the frame being unstraight (is that even a word?) or possible problems coming along the way. Lower control arms were not changed so there is one thing to worry about.

·
Registered
426 Posts
i'm not sure where you are eaither, but where i live if a car has a salvage title before it can be insured it must pass a frame integrity and a vehicle safty.
how much are they asking for this car?
so if your unsure i'd get who ever did the repairs to take to a local frame repair shop and they could do a integrity to make sure all is sound. If he wont see what the frame place charges and take the cost off the price of the car.
as for the control arms you'll be on your own as i'm sure warranty is no longer valid on a salvage titled car. I bought mine used from a gm dealer, and my arms went when i hit 50k, but warranty took care of it for me

·
every village has one
2,169 Posts
Check with a dealer on the warranty situation. I looked at a Ford Ranger with 4000 miles on it, but it had a rebuilt title. Ford Dealer looked up the VIN and the vehicle was in their system. NO warranty. Also check with your insurance carrier. Some will not insure rebuilt vehicles at all.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Stay Far Away. Any warranty will be blocked, (including the powertrain) If it isn't in GM's computer system already, the dealer can make a change & block the warranty on the spot at anytime once they find out that it was a write off.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Stay as far away as possible. It's like screwing a girl with HIV, nothing good comes of it.

·
9 Second G8
2,875 Posts
If it isn't in GM's computer system already, the dealer can make a change & block the warranty on the spot at anytime once they find out that it was a write off.
Hmmmmm... I seriously doubt that. I know a Ford dealer cannot do this, I doubt a GM dealer can either. can they contact GM and suggest it? Yea I guess they could but they cannot do it themselves. Its just not that simple.

They would never see the title so likely would not know it was salvage.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hmmmmm... I seriously doubt that. I know a Ford dealer cannot do this, I doubt a GM dealer can either. can they contact GM and suggest it? Yea I guess they could but they cannot do it themselves. Its just not that simple.

They would never see the title so likely would not know it was salvage.
"Hmm, something doesn't look right under this car, kinda looks like it was in a big accident" ( because short cuts are always taken on writeoffs) "call the registries department and see if it's a total loss"(or the DMV or check carfax, carproof, etc, etc.. whoever you use in the states) 10 min later...

"Oh look, it is a total loss, no warranty, call the customer & give him the estimate to repair, I'll email GM & have the warranty blocked"

DONE, GM doesn't ask questions when you email them with the proof that the VIN was registered as a total loss.

Then again, how would I know? ;)

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Hey that looks like my car!! Yikes!!

If KBB non-salvage is 22k and you get it for 10k salvage, you have to ask yourself if you think you can deal with the potential voided warrantees (some "shop guys" could care less about warrantees, they will fix it themselves) and parts to fix it up.

Or maybe you said it's already fixed? If so, what's the price compared to KBB/non-salvage?

Don't forget, once a salvage, always a salvage. Don't expect to ever be able to sell it without hassles all over the place. If you're planning on driving it into the ground (not literally; that may have happened here?!) and fixing it yourself, you may benefit by saving several thousand dollars by getting the salvage title.... but if you're looking for something dependable and with a warrantee, LOOK ELSEWHERE, and save some more pennies.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys just made me change my mind. I will be visiting another one, that had the LCA replaced and new engine replaced recently. (lifter messed up in the last engine)

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
This is the 'non-salvage' pic.... lol

sent from my EVO4g via Tapaftalk

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
V6 salvaged=Hell No ( I highly doubt the V6 will hold it's value in the long run being salvaged)

GT or GXP salvage with the intent to fix it up=Yes
I have absolutely no problems with buying a car with a salvage title (I currently own 2) If the repairs are done correctly then there's nothing wrong with it. I've had more headaches from the clean title cars I've owned rather than the salvage ones. That being said, personally I agree with Thechemist but I wouldn't buy a G8 V6 anyway except for the body panels or tails.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts